HL Lang and Lit - Paper 2

My English exam is in about 12 days and we'll be writing a paper 2 on The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and either Hamlet or Atonement by Ian McEwan. (It's a comparison).

Recently, in class we've started practicing proper thesis formation for the paper twos based on past year prompts and applying them to the novels we've studied. However, I'm having a difficult time understanding how to figure out the "technique used in the novel" with the "purpose of the novel" and link them to form a proper thesis. It's a little demotivating, to be completely honest.

Anyways, if anyone has any tips on what to do, how to improve, anything would be appreciated. 

Thank you! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm understanding this correctly you are trying to link the themes/content to the techniques (stylistic features etc.) in the thesis.

An example can be let's say "One of the main themes of the novel is regret and it is illustrated through the use of imagery and irony". Then you will continue to explain both and keep linking them to one another. You can just make a list of the basic and most commonly used techniques throughout the novel/play and what they achieve so that you can choose the appropriate ones for each question you might have to answer. I know it's not easy but it takes some practice.

• Like 1