Will Nature of science be on the final exam?

Kevin Chan

I saw what so called nature of science everywhere on my biology study materials, and they are also in the IB Biology study guide. However, after I quickly look through these 'nature of science', I found they are just some pretty random ideas packaged with some pretty random examples.

If nature of science will appear on the exam, does that means I have to remember certain scenarios?

As the first exams are yet to come, we can't say for sure so far - you're lucky in that you'll have three past papers that you'll have seen, and therefore you'll definitely be able to see if they're there. Regardless, there's no harm in going over them; there's (relatively) not that many and they're pretty interesting as it is. Our Biology class got a nasty surprise in our prelims this year as ~20 marks were on Nature of Science questions and none of us had thought they'd come up!

Perhaps note down some details in each case, but you can usually tell by looking at them as to whether they'll come up or not. For example, if they helped in the development of something (e.g. the Davson-Danielli model), then they might, whilst ones that simply state the name of the person who discovered a process probably (emphasis on the probably) won't come up.

Edited by Guest

So jealous you guys get past papers. My classmates and I are scared out of our wits. I'll let you know in May if the Nature of Science comes up on exams! :)

Thank you very much!

As the first exams are yet to come, we can't say for sure so far - you're lucky in that you'll have three past papers that you'll have seen, and therefore you'll definitely be able to see if they're there. Regardless, there's no harm in going over them; there's (relatively) not that many and they're pretty interesting as it is. Our Biology class got a nasty surprise in our prelims this year as ~20 marks were on Nature of Science questions and none of us had thought they'd come up!

Perhaps note down some details in each case, but you can usually tell by looking at them as to whether they'll come up or not. For example, if they helped in the development of something (e.g. the Davson-Danielli model), then they might, whilst ones that simply state the name of the person who discovered a process probably (emphasis on the probably) won't come up.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

So jealous you guys get past papers. My classmates and I are scared out of our wits. I'll let you know in May if the Nature of Science comes up on exams! :)

Another reason for which I'm extremely relieved that I live in the Southern Hemisphere! :)

Oh man, yeah we have no idea. Guinea pigs, I tell you :P

My teacher did mention to us that we should definitely know the Nature of Science sections though - she's been testing us on them. Some may be more "useful" (for lack of a better term) than others however considering that it is a part of the syllabus, I would not be surprised if it does show up on the exam. Even if as one mark in a long answer to show understanding of the application of the Nature of Science.

While I didn't take Biology and can't directly answer the question, do note that Specimen Papers exist. They are essentially "past papers" that are never used for a live examination session - created each time there is a syllabus change so there is an example of the new content in exam format.

If you are a May 2016 candidate you might have a hard time getting hold of them since your schools will probably want to use them for trial examinations, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your DP coordinator.

• Like 1

While I didn't take Biology and can't directly answer the question, do note that Specimen Papers exist. They are essentially "past papers" that are never used for a live examination session - created each time there is a syllabus change so there is an example of the new content in exam format.

If you are a May 2016 candidate you might have a hard time getting hold of them since your schools will probably want to use them for trial examinations, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your DP coordinator.

Since my mock exams are going to be over after this week, I suppose my IB Coordinator should be okay with helping me out getting them after all our trials are done. Thanks! :)

Our biology teacher actually showed us the specimen paper they received this year and there was a question about specific model or theory (I don't remember which one). From what I remember, it was worth about 5 points on paper 2. 

Edited by Guziec
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It will most probably come, but you don't need to know anything directly from the textbook. For example, I got an NOS question about stem cells and used my own knowledge to answer it (because I hadn't gone through the textbook) and still managed to get full marks. You can also use knowledge from other subjects to answer. There is nothing concrete on the markscheme so logical answers won't get discredited. It would be helpful to know the content given in the syllabus outline in the NOS section though, so that you don't falter in the exam. My guess is that it will come for 5-10 marks for sure.