PLEASE HELP! D: SL FILM or MUSIC?

chenji

Hi! I will be starting IB next year and I'm having trouble deciding on my arts option (group 6).

Here's my dilemma:

I really like film and the idea of making my own films, but I'm not sure if I'm good at the subject as I didn't take gcse media (which I 100% regret now) so I don't really know what the subject is like.
I've also heard that it is very time consuming, which isn't ideal for me because I'm taking HL Maths, Chemistry, and Econ, which I think will require a lot of time.
But there is no exam, which is always nice ;) (Plus I think I'll enjoy the subject :D)

As for music, I would pick performing, and because I have experience in this subject and performing, it probably won't be a problem for me.
But the thing is I'm not very interested in music and am sure I won't be pursuing it in the future, so the only reason I'd take it would be for points and because it's more of a chill subject which would benefit me because my HL subjects will probably be rather stressful.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or pieces of advice on which one should I take?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

Edited by chenji

Definitely agree with kartikeya. Also, film can be pretty time-consuming and can get especially troublesome and stressful between your HL core classes. As a musician, I'd say at least if you take music, the time you use up while practicing and playing/singing can be a little chill-time and a time to kind of get lost in the music and away from reality a bit. It's a really great remedy for stress.  ;)

• Like 1

I think you should take music if you have taken it before because hl maths and hl chem is really stressful and eco hl is also not a joke. Music would help you chill out.

Hi! Thanks for your advice :D I reeeaaallly reaaally want to do Film though.. THE STRUGGLES

(and on a slightly more irrelevant note) I see that you took HL Maths and Econ and SL Chem! 

Can you give me any tips for those subjects? I'm not a super math-y person (as in I'm not super good at math), but I do like the subject (at least a lot more than I do for English), so hopefully I can do alright, but I'm really worried about it because it's one of the hardest subjects to take!

I've also heard that HL Econ is considered one of the easier HLs? I've never done economics before, but I heard that you don't need prior knowledge to starting the course, so I picked that for my humanities subject. 

As for Chem, I love the subject, and much like maths, I might not always understand or be very good at it but I do try to study and make sure I understand everything!

if you take film try take it at hl and dropping one of your current hl's to sl because the difference in difficulty between hl and sl in art subjects is relatively small compared to the difference in difficulty between hl and sl in group 3 and 4's. 

just because you have experience in music doesn't mean it will be easier. the course is extremely challenging and everyone i know who took it including people i know who are accepted into the best music school in australia found the course challenging. most of these people told me they thought the class was harder than physics hl just because it is a lot more subjective in marking and requires a lot more hours than a group 1-5 subject.

• Like 1

if you take film try take it at hl and dropping one of your current hl's to sl because the difference in difficulty between hl and sl in art subjects is relatively small compared to the difference in difficulty between hl and sl in group 3 and 4's. 

just because you have experience in music doesn't mean it will be easier. the course is extremely challenging and everyone i know who took it including people i know who are accepted into the best music school in australia found the course challenging. most of these people told me they thought the class was harder than physics hl just because it is a lot more subjective in marking and requires a lot more hours than a group 1-5 subject.

Thanks for your advice! I would swap one of my HLs with my arts subject, but I'm not too sure which one, and I don't think my parents would approve either as they don't really think I can do well in film despite my strong interest :/ I would choose maths, but I think HL maths is important if I want to go into the chem/finance-econ-business field, but I'm afraid I won't do very well, so Econ will be my backup (though unis would probably look at my maths score more if I apply for those majors). If I were to swap with one of my HLs, which one do you think I should pick? 

Also in my opinion, Music is a fairly easy subject for me because I'm familiar with the theory and technical aspects of the subject. I've been involved with extra curriculars (such as learning instruments, orchestras, choir, musical events, theory classes, etc) and music lessons for almost 10 years now, so I am rather comfortable with most aspects of music. But I am not the best at composition, which is why if I take SL I will pick performing because I am confident in it and can also choose from a wide range of pieces that I have learnt. Though If I do find some parts challenging, I know several friends that can definitely help! :D

if you're going into a field with chem or econ then keep them as hl. contact universities you're interested in to see if they require hl math for those courses but i know in australia if you're studying science or econ you might need math sl max, but most universities wouldn't care too much about your math level.

• Like 1

I think you should take music if you have taken it before because hl maths and hl chem is really stressful and eco hl is also not a joke. Music would help you chill out.

Hi! Thanks for your advice :D I reeeaaallly reaaally want to do Film though.. THE STRUGGLES

(and on a slightly more irrelevant note) I see that you took HL Maths and Econ and SL Chem! 

Can you give me any tips for those subjects? I'm not a super math-y person (as in I'm not super good at math), but I do like the subject (at least a lot more than I do for English), so hopefully I can do alright, but I'm really worried about it because it's one of the hardest subjects to take!

I've also heard that HL Econ is considered one of the easier HLs? I've never done economics before, but I heard that you don't need prior knowledge to starting the course, so I picked that for my humanities subject. 

As for Chem, I love the subject, and much like maths, I might not always understand or be very good at it but I do try to study and make sure I understand everything!

Hl maths is hard if you have no help outside your school like no tuition or help at home . Otherwise it is not impossible but just hard to get a 7. If you have help outside of school and practice maths regularly, you can get a 6 at least. Hl economics depends on how well you can learn information and interpret graphs and again another subject in which a 7 is subjective and depends on the teacher to some extent. Hl chem was really hard so I dropped to sl but it was the labs that were really challenging more than the theory bit if you are good at

Lab work thn you should do hl chem.

• Like 1

if you're going into a field with chem or econ then keep them as hl. contact universities you're interested in to see if they require hl math for those courses but i know in australia if you're studying science or econ you might need math sl max, but most universities wouldn't care too much about your math level.

hmm well I'm looking into US or UK unis, and I saw that LSE (London School of Economics) requires HL Maths instead of HL Econ so that was kind of why I took HL. I may or may not drop down to SL depending on how I hold up later in the year, but hopefully I won't have to! :1

Do you think taking HL Maths and SL Econ would, in fact, still get me into most unis if I major in econ/finance/business (something in this field)?

Hl maths is hard if you have no help outside your school like no tuition or help at home . Otherwise it is not impossible but just hard to get a 7. If you have help outside of school and practice maths regularly, you can get a 6 at least. Hl economics depends on how well you can learn information and interpret graphs and again another subject in which a 7 is subjective and depends on the teacher to some extent. Hl chem was really hard so I dropped to sl but it was the labs that were really challenging more than the theory bit if you are good at

Well I already have a tutor for maths, and I'm planning to begin learning the IB course over the summer, so I can get a headstart! I also have a tutor for chem, and I'm also going to do the same. 

I'd like to ask something though, does HL Economics require you to remember a lot of information? Because my memory is really, really terrible, and I can never really retain any information, which is probably the main reason why I struggle so much in biology... :/ We have a couple of Econ teachers at our school that are really good, so I'm hoping that I get either one of them since I think they both teach HL. 

We also have a really good chem teacher that was also one of the authors for the IB Chem textbook so I'm hoping that he might teach my class :)

As for maths, I think the teacher is good, but I'm not sure because he hasn't taught me before. 

Well I already have a tutor for maths, and I'm planning to begin learning the IB course over the summer, so I can get a headstart! I also have a tutor for chem, and I'm also going to do the same. 

I'd like to ask something though, does HL Economics require you to remember a lot of information? Because my memory is really, really terrible, and I can never really retain any information, which is probably the main reason why I struggle so much in biology... :/ We have a couple of Econ teachers at our school that are really good, so I'm hoping that I get either one of them since I think they both teach HL. 

We also have a really good chem teacher that was also one of the authors for the IB Chem textbook so I'm hoping that he might teach my class :)

As for maths, I think the teacher is good, but I'm not sure because he hasn't taught me before.

I will not say a lot but you have to expect to learn enough information to write answers worth 10 or 15 marks

hmm well I'm looking into US or UK unis, and I saw that LSE (London School of Economics) requires HL Maths instead of HL Econ so that was kind of why I took HL. I may or may not drop down to SL depending on how I hold up later in the year, but hopefully I won't have to! :1

Do you think taking HL Maths and SL Econ would, in fact, still get me into most unis if I major in econ/finance/business (something in this field)?

as i said, contact the universities you're interested and see what they require. if LSE is your goal school and you need math hl then keep math hl.