TOK objectivity & subjectivity

Hadassah

Hello! I just received some critiques from my mock TOK presentation about music. 

KQ: Is music a subjective concept, objective concept, or both?

In my critique, my teacher told me that there are different types of objectivity and subjectivity which include metaphysical objectivity/subjectivity, and epistemological objectivity/subjectivity. 

I've googled them, but I only got abstract answers that doesn't entirely explain these concepts.

Can anyone explain these terms to me, please??

I'm not sure if I can properly explain epistemological objectivity/subjectivity although I've heard it somewhere in my classes, but I can explain metaphysical objectivity/subjectivity.

Metaphysical by itself in TOK means things we can't prove nor disprove. Things like gods in religion. So unlike sensory perception, there's no concrete evidence for or against. So now, we can move on to subjective and objective. Subjective is when things are based more on opinion while objective is more quantitate and based more on the scientific and "rationality" end of things. 

So when you have metaphysical objectivity/subjectivity, it's how this metaphysical object or idea is perceived.

For epistemological, I can only relate it to epistemology and that means the root of the word and the meaning and how it came about.

Hope this all helps! 

X

• Like 1