How important are the "skills" and "applications" sections in Bio?

So, New syllabus for sciences.....

the skills and applications sections for me are just random. I am not sure about physics or chem, but in Bio they give us random information (sometimes) and random organisms or species or gene name. 

It strikes me as odd really. Do we really have to memorize them? Too much information !!! Please don't just tell me to look at the syllabus because the syllabus is really ambiguous and vague.... It doesn't tell us exactly what we need to do..

Thank you :)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Applications and skills will definitely be in there, and I can say that because our mock exams last year had questions out of the specimen papers our teachers received from IB, and one of them consisted of nine pictures of different creatures and we had to identify they're phylum by their external features. They're pretty key!

Also, the syllabus is like that on purpose because they want us to learn for the sake of learning and understanding, not just learning specific facts which we'll forget the moment we leave school though people will probably do that anyway.

Edited by Guest