I am a student of Grade 11 and I have my final IOP due in about a month or so. I was browsing through a few previous forums on how to go on about doing your IOP but many of them seem to focus on books. As I'm still quire new to IB could someone please help me understand how one should do an IOP on english poetry? The poems we've done in class are that of Robert Frost

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Prajit Baruah

• 3 weeks later...

You should choose a topic on which you can talk for 10 minutes. The first two minutes will go in introducing yourself and the topic. Then you can talk about why the topic is important and them go on exploring the topic further. That's all I can say for now as I don't know your topic. PM me if you wanna ask anything else.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a student of Grade 11 and I have my final IOP due in about a month or so. I was browsing through a few previous forums on how to go on about doing your IOP but many of them seem to focus on books. As I'm still quire new to IB could someone please help me understand how one should do an IOP on english poetry? The poems we've done in class are that of Robert Frost

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I hope it's not too late to answer your question. I did my IOP on poetry (emily dickinson), and there are plenty of ways to go about it. What I chose was to dress up as the poet, and as the "introduction" I kind of acted a monologue from the poet's POV talking about her life and the recurrent themes in it (mostly hope and death). I then analyzed two of her poems that related to these two particular themes-- my presentation went into the analysis of the poems, but also related the poems to her life (i.e. which events led emily dickinson to write what she wrote? why did she write it? etc.) 

you could do something like that, which includes the more "creative" aspect of the monologue, but if you don't like that (or your teacher might not like it) then I think you can simply analyze some (maybe 3) of the poems and relate them (find common themes, motifs, structure, etc.) to each other. Eventually, you might want to make it a bit more interactive, so you could bring out a last poem (maybe one you haven't studied in class) and open the floor for discussion to your classmates for a minute or two, asking them to find themes in the poem, etc. or to think of ways that the poem is similar to the ones previously presented. 

I hope this helps! and good luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I hope it's not too late to answer your question. I did my IOP on poetry (emily dickinson), and there are plenty of ways to go about it. What I chose was to dress up as the poet, and as the "introduction" I kind of acted a monologue from the poet's POV talking about her life and the recurrent themes in it (mostly hope and death). I then analyzed two of her poems that related to these two particular themes-- my presentation went into the analysis of the poems, but also related the poems to her life (i.e. which events led emily dickinson to write what she wrote? why did she write it? etc.) 

you could do something like that, which includes the more "creative" aspect of the monologue, but if you don't like that (or your teacher might not like it) then I think you can simply analyze some (maybe 3) of the poems and relate them (find common themes, motifs, structure, etc.) to each other. Eventually, you might want to make it a bit more interactive, so you could bring out a last poem (maybe one you haven't studied in class) and open the floor for discussion to your classmates for a minute or two, asking them to find themes in the poem, etc. or to think of ways that the poem is similar to the ones previously presented. 

I hope this helps! and good luck! 

That actually gives me quite a few good ideas. I was deciding to go with a simple presentation but you gave me some ideas as to how I could make it better

Thanks a lot!