Should I drop Physics HL because of my teacher?

mgliu

So basically I've been doing four HLs, and I'm not feeling incredibly swamped or anything, but I can't guarantee that I will get 7 in all of them. I want to study Computer Engineering, so Physics HL would definitely be recommended, but my physics teacher is terrible and I don't believe he can finish anywhere near the curriculum in time. Furthermore I feel that he doesn't like me... he's marked multiple assessments of mine incorrectly and doesn't like listening to me when I ask what I did wrong. Even though Physics is a good HL to have I don't feel he will support me through my four HLs. 

Should I drop to SL so I don't have to worry about physics anymore? I know in SL I can get a 7, I've self-studied most of the material as well. 

I have 4 HL's as well, and I would say don't drop it because of that. Its not necessary to get 7 in all of your HL's, 6 is fine too. I would also check what your dream uni says. They might require physics HL when you shoudlnt drop. If they only care about total score then maybe better drop. But in the end, its up to you.

Is it your first semester? Because the curriculum states you only need to complete Mechanics and thermodynamics by S1 so dont worry! They want to build a very strong base for you to base further knowledge on. About the teacher: dont worry too much. Just practice, practice and practice more and you will do fine. Think about students with do self taught classes.  

• 3 weeks later...

Only if you really think that his attitude towards teaching you will seriously hinder your work. If your goal university needs Physics HL for sure, stick with it, but consider getting a tutor, asking other trusted teachers for help, or watching videos online. Some tutoring agencies may even help mark some of your work for you — with good feedback! — over the internet if you need to. Since you'd be paying them, they have to do a good job :D 

My physics teacher teaches in a style that doesn't really match my learning style, so I end up having to do a lot of relearning myself — kind of hard with the new syllabus as well. It would be nice to get a 7, but at this point a strong 6 with the potential for a 7 (rather than a weak 7) will do it for me. I like chem better anyway!

Hey, I have 4 HLs as well, physics being one of them. My teacher isn't great either. If you can work on your own and understand things by reading them, you definitely shouldn't drop physics. Take help from your friends or you can post your doubt here! Plus, its necessary for your course, so it wouldn't be recommendable to drop the HL.