Is language needed to gain knowledge?

Annesant98

Hi! My TOK homework is: "The Knowledge Issue is the following:

' Without language there can be no  transmission of knowledge'.

Your homework is to note in detail how you would investigate this KI. Remember how I detailed this during class time. Plan out the Knowledge Areas that you would use, the Ways of Knowing that you would associate with each KA.The summary of some of the things you would say in each WOK , and find some arguments that you would use as a back up to those arguments. Linked to the arguments would be examples of quotes etc.

You are not to write the presentation in full but make an outline\notes to say how you would do it. Try to use TOK language and include some of the work that we have already done."

I've written about the arts and sciences. For the history I've chosen to write about a famous painter and how his paintings teaches us about ancient history. I am struggling finding an example of how we need language in order to gain knowledge in the AOK of history. Do you have some ideas?

Hi! My TOK homework is: "The Knowledge Issue is the following:

' Without language there can be no  transmission of knowledge'.

Your homework is to note in detail how you would investigate this KI. Remember how I detailed this during class time. Plan out the Knowledge Areas that you would use, the Ways of Knowing that you would associate with each KA.The summary of some of the things you would say in each WOK , and find some arguments that you would use as a back up to those arguments. Linked to the arguments would be examples of quotes etc.

You are not to write the presentation in full but make an outline\notes to say how you would do it. Try to use TOK language and include some of the work that we have already done."

I've written about the arts and sciences. For the history I've chosen to write about a famous painter and how his paintings teaches us about ancient history. I am struggling finding an example of how we need language in order to gain knowledge in the AOK of history. Do you have some ideas?

I'd guess you need language to read old manuscripts/hieroglyphs/etc ? not so sure. You didn't ask about WoKs, but just wanted to say that a good one to use as a counterclaim (i.e. don't need language to acquire knowledge) is sense perception. Also, you can talk about reason and how your reasoning is improved by your ability to put thoughts into words (i.e language!)