Sree98

Hello IBers,

Do you guys think that this is a good TOK presentation?:

How does technology affect the way we acquire knowledge?

I was thinking about Memory, Emotion for WOK, and mathematics for AOK.

I haven't actually thought of any real life situations. But is this a good topic? and is the KI good?

Thank You Soo much in advance. :D

I think it would be made more TOK-y if you changed the "How" to "To what extent"

I think it's a pretty good topic but are you sure you can cover all that in 10 minutes? It might help to narrow it down further but depending on your RLS it might not be necessary.

Best of luck! x

Edited by batool
  • Like 1

Thank You, batool for the advise.

I dont know any real life situation for my KI. So that is a problem lol.

You could also go with "in what ways" instead of "to what extent". The  difference is that with "to what extent" you need to answer an extent i.e a lot, a little, to a very big extent, to a small extent, etc. With "in what ways" you can just describe the different ways. 

I think your KQ is good, but you need to come up with RLS. Remember that in the presentation you are supposed to extract the KQ from the RLS, not the other way around. So I guess you should look for RLS involving technology and see what knowledge claims you can find in them. Who knows, you might find one that makes you re-think your question. 

good luck :) 

• Like 1

Thank you, eross for the advice.

I am still thinking about an RLS lol. I was thinking about how thinks on the internet doesn't necessarily have to be true so that will affect the way we see stuff. IDK I am just thinking of things now. 

Thanks again to both of you. :)

Maybe you could look at the censorship of the internet in some countries. Restricting the knowledge we can acquire from the internet can - in a sense - thus affect the way in which we acquire knowledge through technology.

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&gl=au&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=internet+cen&oq=internet+cen&gs_l=news-cc.3.0.43j0l2j43i53.1063.2261.0.3710.12.11.0.0.0.0.330.1630.3j5j1j2.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.Epy7-Cu_U4w#hl=en&gl=au&authuser=0&tbm=nws&q=internet+censorship

• Like 1

Hello IBers,

I haven't actually thought of any real life situations. But is this a good topic? and is the KI good?

Thank You Soo much in advance. :D

This is almost word for word exactly the knowledge question I had for my second attempt at the presentation during my first draft. I was told by all our TOK teachers that it was far too broad, and ended up narrowing it down to "to what extent has the rise of internet technologies affected the way we acquire and interact with academic knowledge?"

You will need to narrow it down in a similar fashion to reach a satisfactory conclusion within the brief period of time you have for the presentation. However, you're on a good track which leads to great potential for discussion - find your RLS, and narrow the question down accordingly.

There are a number of foci and corresponding real life situations you could look at:

-Ownership of knowledge -> net neutrality, intellectual property and digital rights management

-Change in medium of knowledge -> death of print media (eg the conclusion of print of Encyclopaedia Brittanica - this was my RLS)

-Frequency and depth of knowledge -> I can't remember where, but I saw some summaries of psychological studies indicating people who have grown up with access to the internet have psychological differences in terms of being better at knowing where to find information but worse at actually retaining it

There's many more but that should help you get moving.

• Like 1

Hello IBers,

Thank You Soo much in advance.  :D

This is almost word for word exactly the knowledge question I had for my second attempt at the presentation during my first draft. I was told by all our TOK teachers that it was far too broad, and ended up narrowing it down to "to what extent has the rise of internet technologies affected the way we acquire and interact with academic knowledge?"

You will need to narrow it down in a similar fashion to reach a satisfactory conclusion within the brief period of time you have for the presentation. However, you're on a good track which leads to great potential for discussion - find your RLS, and narrow the question down accordingly.

There are a number of foci and corresponding real life situations you could look at:

-Ownership of knowledge -> net neutrality, intellectual property and digital rights management

-Change in medium of knowledge -> death of print media (eg the conclusion of print of Encyclopaedia Brittanica - this was my RLS)

-Frequency and depth of knowledge -> I can't remember where, but I saw some summaries of psychological studies indicating people who have grown up with access to the internet have psychological differences in terms of being better at knowing where to find information but worse at actually retaining it

There's many more but that should help you get moving.

Ohh, wow. I chose my RLS as the censorship in North Korea, and how this censorship doesn't let the people know whats going on outside the country. And also how the "enternet" implemented by North Korea is full of Propaganda fully controlled by the government itself.

So can i go with the same KQ? Mt ToK teacher said that the KQ has to be really broad, and i have to tie in my RLS to this broad topic, or something along these lines.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sree98

Ohh, wow. I chose my RLS as the censorship in North Korea, and how this censorship doesn't let the people know whats going on outside the country. And also how the "enternet" implemented by North Korea is full of Propaganda fully controlled by the government itself.

So can i go with the same KQ? Mt ToK teacher said that the KQ has to be really broad, and i have to tie in my RLS to this broad topic, or something along these lines.

Thanks in advance.

Different schools seem to have different demands for the presentation. In the end, you should do whatever the people marking it tell you to. But the point is to have a KQ that's an abstraction of the knowledge issue in your RLS, specific enough to have a satisfactory resolution in the 10 minutes you have to talk.

• Like 1