English A: Literature Written Assignment

ultimateone

Hi,

I was wondering, regarding the WA, that many exemplars focus on a literary aspect like a symbol (such as heat, sun, windows, etc). But say I want to talk about the way the author uses religion in a book, will that allow me to gain a high mark if the essay was good? Because I just haven't seen themes being talked about when it comes to WAs.

Also, since it's a part of the Part 1: Works in translation part of the course - is there an emphasis on the culture of the original language or something? Or do we just write the WA as if it's any other literary commentary, or must it have a cultural aspect in it too?

Hi,

I was wondering, regarding the WA, that many exemplars focus on a literary aspect like a symbol (such as heat, sun, windows, etc). But say I want to talk about the way the author uses religion in a book, will that allow me to gain a high mark if the essay was good? Because I just haven't seen themes being talked about when it comes to WAs.

Also, since it's a part of the Part 1: Works in translation part of the course - is there an emphasis on the culture of the original language or something? Or do we just write the WA as if it's any other literary commentary, or must it have a cultural aspect in it too?

Well I think religion would work, but it HAS to be in the context of a technique. Maybe you could look at motifs that relate to it?

And yes, it's good to talk about culture, but don't go overboard with it and end up writing a historical essay on whatever you're talking about. Talk about culture in relation to the techniques you're focusing on for the actual paper. The reflective statement is mainly about culture, however. 

Hi,

Well I think religion would work, but it HAS to be in the context of a technique. Maybe you could look at motifs that relate to it?

And yes, it's good to talk about culture, but don't go overboard with it and end up writing a historical essay on whatever you're talking about. Talk about culture in relation to the techniques you're focusing on for the actual paper. The reflective statement is mainly about culture, however. 

Thanks for the response.

Yeah but what if religion IS a motif itself?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yeah but what if religion IS a motif itself?

Umm that should be fine :P Just talk about technique.. Mine is a motif as well but it is used in a lot of metaphors throughout the book. If you're still not sure, ask your teacher about it 

Edited by ShootingStar16