urgent, anyone know anything about SEHS

6ix god

Okay, for four HLs, people generally recommend against it though I regret not taking a seventh subject at HL now because Physics HL looks amaaazing, just because it'll be unnecessary stress. IB itself if stressful, and in ways I'm glad I didn't take an extra subject because I would have had cried in my busiest terms this year - which is nothing compared to next year, apparently! So, honestly, I'd recommend you save yourself the trouble and stick to three HLs, though that really depends.

Firstly, you need to know a few things:

• what do you want to do in university, and where do you want to go - even if it's just a general idea? For example, if you want to go to the UK and do medicine, you have to have Biology HL and Chemistry HL; for engineering, it's generally Physics HL and Maths HL. If you have a general idea of what you want to do, start looking on the websites and look at their requirements!
  • what are your likes and dislikes? There's no point doing Biology HL if you're more interested in the content of SEHS - I'd recommend looking at the course outlines/syllabus, and see which content you're more interested in. This is particularly true for Biology HL, because there is a LOT of memorisation in it, so you generally have to be interested in the topic to know about it
  • this leads me to say, what are your strengths and weaknesses? If you can't memorise, then Biology HL will be very difficult. If you struggle with some basic maths, Chemistry HL isn't for you. If you don't know your strengths and weaknesses, this is going to be tricky.

I don't think 2 HL science subjects is difficult, and 4 HLs don't seem as difficult with English HL. I, personally, chose not to do English HL because I'm not confident enough in my analysis abilities to know that I'll get a 7 at HL, so I'm not doing it, but other than marking you harder, English HL only gives you three extra books to read. History HL can be a pain, but not if you manage your time and work out how to write essays early. It's basically the same as English: know how to write essays, be ready to analyse and quote, and it's more content - but not a drastic amount, to be honest.

Honestly, a lot of people in my school refuse to do Biology HL because its got about 150 extra pages, but seriously, it's basically expansion on work you've already covered. If you can do Biology SL, you should be able to do HL, though again, this really depends on your ability to memorise AND understand the content. Chemistry HL doesn't seem particularly difficult, it's just about knowing concepts.

Honestly, I think you should be fine, but remember, for English and 4 HLs, I'm not speaking from my own experience, only others'. I hope this helps!

(Oh, and about SEHS, the people in my school who take it think it's great - it's like a mixture of all the sciences, apparently, because you do a bit of Biology, a bit of Chemistry, and a bit of Physics in it, in different topics. Apparently it's not too difficult if you put some work into it - though I believe that's all of IB.)

Edited by Guest