Any improvements I could make to this thesis paragraph?

Alright guys,

I have my English A1 HL Paper 1 coming up soon and as practice I wrote a prose commentary on an extract from "Falling Angels" by Tracy Chevalier. I'm writing my thesis paragraph here, it'd be great if someone could read it and tell me if there's a chance for improvement!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The given prose passage is an extract from "Falling Angels" by Tracy Chevalier, who narrates the passage from the point of view of a man named Simon. The passage is written in the first person limited and revolves around the idea of the hopelessness one develops in life, and the acceptance one faces about the fact that optimism has a limit to itself. The passage describes Simon getting trapped in a grave he dug working for a cemetery company, which is used to convey the theme of this passage. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.s. I do not know the actual theme of the novel, and what I've written here is just my own judgment. If you do happen have read this and know the same please let me know about how I could improve this thesis taking that into account.

Edited by BadLifeDecisions

Comment on the structure:

is there dialogue? what does this do/what is the effect? 

What is the effect of the passage being written in the first person?

"which is used to convey the theme of this passage" I understand that you do not know the theme of the book, but try to deduce the theme from the passage alone. i.e. read the passage and try to find what it is saying and develop the theme. 

• Like 1

Alright guys,

I have my English A1 HL Paper 1 coming up soon and as practice I wrote a prose commentary on an extract from "Falling Angels" by Tracy Chevalier. I'm writing my thesis paragraph here, it'd be great if someone could read it and tell me if there's a chance for improvement!

The given prose passage is an extract from "Falling Angels" by Tracy Chevalier, who narrates the passage from the point of view of a man named Simon. The passage is written in the first person limited and revolves around the idea of the hopelessness one develops in life, and the acceptance one faces about the fact that optimism has a limit to itself. The passage describes Simon getting trapped in a grave he dug working for a cemetery company, which is used to convey the theme of this passage. 

P.s. I do not know the actual theme of the novel, and what I've written here is just my own judgment. If you do happen have read this and know the same please let me know about how I could improve this thesis taking that into account.

Yeah like what the above poster said.. Comment on the structure of it and see if there are any key literary details that stick out to you. Talk about that key literary detail in your thesis and talk about its general effect on the passage in relation to the theme.