Question in Physics EE

JTFreitasPT

Hey everyone!

I'm writing an EE in Physics, and I stumbled upon a major problem that's holding me back from finishing it.

So here:

I have a research question and a hypothesis. Added to this I have a mathematical equation that basically gives me a linear fit.

The problem is that the hypothesis is mathematical but qualitative. the mathematical equation I have is derived from that hypothesis through really complicated methods way beyond what any IB physics HL or Math HL student would know. This means I will not derive the equation as I virtually cannot (if I do my EE will go way beyond the word limit and taking to account that I do not understand the derivations, I will probably be extremely inaccurate, throwing away a lot of marks).

So from these two options: Should I just include the mathematical equation and refer that it is a derived relationship from the hypothesis and that it is beyond the scope of the exploration, or should I not include it and stick to a qualitative analysis?

Thanks in advance!

What is this equation? If I were you i would not included this formula since, the IB moderators are really looking for material that you understand and can develop rather than some really complicated equation that has just been sourced from the internet. What is your physics EE on? Make sure not to make it too complicated as the moderators could take away marks very easily.  

Hope that helps!

Edited by Gaurav Agarwal

I guess that answers my question. I have a somewhat simple formula which I am using for my hypothesis, and through some long and complicated derivation (which I don't really understand) I can get to the formula which I can use to analyze data quantitatively. On that note, I assume it's better not to complicate what I cannot understand and just stick to something simple that makes sense.

Thanks!