Commentary of a play

NiCKEL

I never get a high mark in English and I'd thought I'd do a little preparing for an upcoming commentary, and I noticed how much I didn't know.

Do you actually want to put focus on stage directions/props/asides/etc. when writing about a play? It just seems weird... (I'm getting like 4 in English by the way)

I can write a commentary on a poem pretty well it's just that when we move to a play I almost forget everything. Do I talk about literary devices like alliteration/rhyme/figurative language still?

The only thing I can think of to write when faced with a passage is the diction and devices that are common with poems...I'm missing so much and our teacher barely helps in-class.

In short, is talking about the passage at "face-value" like examining the words as they are on the paper and about their effects on the audience enough? (e.g. figurative language, rhetorical devices, and the physical factors that would have been seen during an actual play like voice volume, soliloquy)