Are we supposed to know which extracts we can choose from on the IOC?

HI.

We are having our IOC's in a couple of weeks, and we are a bit puzzled over the extracts we have been working on.

Our teacher said we will be given an extract from a pool of over 30 poems and the entire Peer Gynt book, which is about 300 pages. 

We are 16 people in the class, so the minimum required number of extracts is 8. We are given 30 + and entire book of 300 pages.

What do you guys think? Is this normal?

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problem! My Spanish Lit teacher gave us 8 poems for the commentary and 6 short stories + 1 short play for the discussion, which made sense,

BUT my English Lit. teacher says he will give us 15 poems (we are 8 in the class, so IB requires 6 poems), a bunch of essays by Orwell, AND Hamlet. 

Idk if it's normal, but it feels like it's way too much

I'm taking English Lang & Lit HL and for my IOC we pick from 3 envelopes (we are not allowed to chose which extracts) from the three there is Othello extracts, Narrative Life of Fredrick Douglass extracts, and poems. Depending on what envelope we choose we have 5-8 extracts to choose from, but we don't see the text at all while choosing. 

idk if it's normal but I feel as though every school is doing it so maybe it is.