Majors that I can do with these IB subjects?

KarenW

Hey, I'm a junior who will be taking the exams in May 2017.

I am NOT part of the diploma programme because I thought that doing three HL courses and doing TOK/CAS/EE would kill me; I thought that maintaining a good GPA would be more valuable. I'm going to college in Korea, so not taking the diploma isn't an issue.

Anyways, I'm taking English A Language and Literature SL, Korean A Language and Literature, Math Studies SL, Biology SL, Psychology SL, and Business&Management SL.

In my freshman and sophomore years, I took IGCSE International Maths, IGCSE Coordinated Sciences, IGCSE Geography, 2 years of English (1 Year of IGCSE English First Language and Literature; dropped down in sophomore year), 2 years of Korean, and 1 year of IGCSE Art.

I was thinking of doing English, nursing, or education, but would I be able to do any of these three? I know for some sciences, they usually require 2 sciences so I'm pretty much giving up on that since I'm not strong in the sciences. Are there any majors that I might have a chance?

Hey.. You should do the IB diploma..  It does require hardwork, but trust me, the benefits will outweight the disadvantages. Now, saying that it doesn't matter because you are in Korea does not make sense to me, it's actually the opposite. In Asia, there is a huge competition, so when applying to universities, you'll be in a disadvantage. IB does put you in front of the line, in front of many people.

People often misunderstand the IB diploma, it required work just like any other Baccalaureate, but then, IB is all about timing, if you time yourself, then it'll be okay, just keep a constant working time/hours and you'll get you IB diploma easily. 

Now, seeing your subjects, you have a vast university major opportunity. But it all depends what you like. Unfortunately, you take math studies, which does pull you down a bit and closes some paths, but you can still catch up at university by taking math courses! 

With Business and management, you could look at communication, business majors, you could look at Human Resources which I think has become an interesting job ( Knowing who and how to recruit people with the right capacities, make their career plan etc..

With psychology, well.. You can go and check psychology majors depending on the university. 

With Biology, if you like sport, you could like at sport science, or if you're more like a lab person, botanic or something else in this path.

Since you seem to be doing to A languages, you could be a professional translator, and since you have Business and management, and psychology, I think this combo could help you get into international relations.

Anyways, let's see what others have to say. I think I wrote too much  :rolleyes:

IB does put you in front of the line, in front of many people.

I have yet to see a solid proof of that. 

To the OP: are these the only subjects you're taking in general? Or are you taking some AP/ALevel/Korean equivalent as well? If these are the only classes, I'd recommend doing at least 2-3 HL subjects (depending on what the countries you're applying to require), because SL subjects don't matter that much to universities, unfortunately. 

There are a lot of majors/degrees you could do with this subject combination, so I'm unable and unwilling to be making crazy long lists. I do recommend you sit down and think of what you actually want to do in the future, and where you want the degree to take you.