German B SL Paper 1

UncleChopChop

What did you all think of the paper? I thought it was noticeably harder than average. Seemed to me like the texts were relatively straightforward, but the questions themselves were quite complicated.

I totally agree! the texts were pretty simple to understand it was the questions themselves that were difficult!!! 

Paper two I chose Free time and thought that was a relatively simple question!

(hopefully the grade boundaries will drop if everyone found it a hard paper!)

What did you all think of the paper? I thought it was noticeably harder than average. Seemed to me like the texts were relatively straightforward, but the questions themselves were quite complicated.

I totally agree! the texts were pretty simple to understand it was the questions themselves that were difficult!!! 

Can you remember what the questions were? I only remember mine (Wissenschaft und Technik - the one about usage of mobile phones in cars). I remember settling pretty quickly so I didn't devote much attention to the others.

I was pretty happy with Paper 2 - I don't think it was my best ever, but it was pretty solid.

I've seen the grade boundaries as high as 87% and as low as 85% for a 7. Pretty tough, but thankfully IAs make up 50% of the grade!

• Like 1

Can you remember what the questions were? I only remember mine (Wissenschaft und Technik - the one about usage of mobile phones in cars). I remember settling pretty quickly so I didn't devote much attention to the others.

I was pretty happy with Paper 2 - I don't think it was my best ever, but it was pretty solid.

I've seen the grade boundaries as high as 87% and as low as 85% for a 7. Pretty tough, but thankfully IAs make up 50% of the grade!

Question 2 was about a big birthday celebration I think and 4 was about a school music band but like you I didn't devote much time to the other questions! 

My IA's were pretty decent apart for the one on one oral! I got so nervous I forgot how to speak :') I got full marks on the interactive ones and my written assignment was pretty good too so hopefully I can push my marks up with those! 

Question 2 was about a big birthday celebration I think and 4 was about a school music band but like you I didn't devote much time to the other questions! 

My IA's were pretty decent apart for the one on one oral! I got so nervous I forgot how to speak :') I got full marks on the interactive ones and my written assignment was pretty good too so hopefully I can push my marks up with those! 

Yeah, now you mention it I remember it. I always find there's one or two questions in a Paper 2 that'll revolve around explaining German customs and what German people do. The guys in my class who went on the German exchange find those questions exceptionally easy (common vocab and they know exactly how the customs are, having lived with a family there), but I have no idea where to begin seeing as I don't have any firsthand experience with the culture. I was really hoping for a good Wissenschaft und Technik question - and luckily, I got one. It was my most frequently used category in practice papers - but sometimes you get awful questions (like one year there was one on writing a list of recycling tips - what kind of SL student is going to have the vocab for that on a whim?).

You might have done better on the oral than you thought you did. If I recall correctly, there's two major criteria - that the conversation flows well (eg that you demonstrate you understand and respond with meaningful answers), and that your language is accurate. The second criterion is a tough one, but examiner's reports indicate most teachers actually mark too harshly there - so the standard is probably lower than you think.

Can you remember any of the tough parts of Paper 1? I seem to recall the synonyms being tough (bloß and something else), but if you looked at the surrounding questions you could pinpoint which sentence they were to be in, and there was only one grammatical match per word type. I remember making an educated guess from that, looking it up after the exam, and realising it was actually right. I've forgotten the true/false bit for text D but remember it being tough - do you remember anything about it?