Preparing Amylase Serial Dilution

Simmyfizz23

Hi, can someone please tell me how i can make a 0.1% amylase solution. 

Ok so you'll need a volumetric flask, stock amylase solution and distilled water. 

Add the amount of stock solution you need to get to your target concentration for the dilution and then you add about half the water in (don't add all of it because that will change your volume). You swirl the flask to ensure thorough mixing and then add more distilled water until you are at the the line on the flask (when the lower part of the meniscus touches the line). To make sure you don't screw up your dilution, when you become close to the line, start using a dropper, so that you don't accidentally add too much water in. After you have it filled to the line, put a stopper on the volumetric flask and invert it several times to make sure that it is well mixed and then you have a diluted solution :D

Repeat the process with the remaining solution from each dilution and make sure you have a set volume of solution you're going to add for each dilution (keep the volume consistent). 

• Like 1

Ok so you'll need a volumetric flask, stock amylase solution and distilled water. 

Add the amount of stock solution you need to get to your target concentration for the dilution and then you add about half the water in (don't add all of it because that will change your volume). You swirl the flask to ensure thorough mixing and then add more distilled water until you are at the the line on the flask (when the lower part of the meniscus touches the line). To make sure you don't screw up your dilution, when you become close to the line, start using a dropper, so that you don't accidentally add too much water in. After you have it filled to the line, put a stopper on the volumetric flask and invert it several times to make sure that it is well mixed and then you have a diluted solution :D

Repeat the process with the remaining solution from each dilution and make sure you have a set volume of solution you're going to add for each dilution (keep the volume consistent). 

Thanks a lot!! When I did i put all the water in and then it became really hard to mix the amylase with the water. lol

Just one other question if i made the solution can i put in the refrigerator overnight and use it again in the morning? Or would it be better if i made a fresh one every day? 

Edited by Simmyfizz23

Thanks a lot!! When I did i put all the water in and then it became really hard to mix the amylase with the water. lol

Just one other question if i made the solution can i put in the refrigerator overnight and use it again in the morning? Or would it be better if i made a fresh one every day? 

Uhh I don't really know with amylase solution sorry (maybe ask your bio teacher/chem teacher?) :P (Yeah another reason why you add only half the water first is because you will have an easier time mixing the solution) :P

Edited by ShootingStar16