English A Literature HL/SL Paper 2

UncleChopChop

Making one thread for this because we had the same set of questions, just with different marking criteria and examination timing.

Obviously this is a paper that differed greatly between the categories of works studied - but what did you all think for your respective sections?

I did poetry, and personally thought the paper couldn't have gone better because of the question I got (#6, the one on tonal shifts). However, I thought it did a pretty poor job of making sure everyone had a question they could tackle at an optimal level. Lots of poetry is pretty consistent in tone, and having four poems studied that exhibit this at a level suitable for a Paper 2 is probably pretty uncommon. I can't imagine addressing specific entities (#4 I think?) was common either, although it was remarkably common in our works. The imagery one was broad enough to cover a wide range of the candidates, but there are enough poets out there that abstain from heavy use of imagery that I can see it becoming quite problematic for some candidates.

Thankfully, I think it was well suited to my study and I did the best I could have - but I think the question range may have been a bit too specific considering the wide range of poets allowed for Part Three. What do you all think? How were the other sections?

Making one thread for this because we had the same set of questions, just with different marking criteria and examination timing.

Obviously this is a paper that differed greatly between the categories of works studied - but what did you all think for your respective sections?

I did poetry, and personally thought the paper couldn't have gone better because of the question I got (#6, the one on tonal shifts). However, I thought it did a pretty poor job of making sure everyone had a question they could tackle at an optimal level. Lots of poetry is pretty consistent in tone, and having four poems studied that exhibit this at a level suitable for a Paper 2 is probably pretty uncommon. I can't imagine addressing specific entities (#4 I think?) was common either, although it was remarkably common in our works. The imagery one was broad enough to cover a wide range of the candidates, but there are enough poets out there that abstain from heavy use of imagery that I can see it becoming quite problematic for some candidates.

Thankfully, I think it was well suited to my study and I did the best I could have - but I think the question range may have been a bit too specific considering the wide range of poets allowed for Part Three. What do you all think? How were the other sections?

I did the same! Poetry, question 6.

I thought it was too broad, did not have time to write about everything so I ended up generalizing too much. I wanted to talk about 4 poems but only had time to talk about 3 in the end. I talked a lot about how the poet created the shift (i.e. shift from bright imagery to dark imagery, from perfect rhyme scheme to ****ty one..), but I didn't talk that much about the effect of it. Just explained the general purpose of the poets -  the poets wanted to represent the complexity of the topic/main theme by presenting two different aspects, or wanted to emphasize/celebrate one aspect by contrasting it with another one. 

My structure was really bad. Ended up with paragraphs that were one page long auch.

My structure was really bad. Ended up with paragraphs that were one page long auch.

That's not necessarily a problem if they're ordered thematically or in terms of the poems. I can't see you losing any more than a point for it.

What poems did you study/use? I ended up using Ulysses and Break, break, break by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Blackberry-Picking by Seamus Heaney, and One Art by Elizabeth Bishop. I was sorely disappointed that I didn't get to use Follower (a Heaney poem) as it was my best analysis - but I think the result will still be pretty reasonable.

That's not necessarily a problem if they're ordered thematically or in terms of the poems. I can't see you losing any more than a point for it.

What poems did you study/use? I ended up using Ulysses and Break, break, break by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Blackberry-Picking by Seamus Heaney, and One Art by Elizabeth Bishop. I was sorely disappointed that I didn't get to use Follower (a Heaney poem) as it was my best analysis - but I think the result will still be pretty reasonable.

Yeah, but the structure within the paragraph was a complete mess.

I used 'God's grandeur' by Hopkins & 'The lamb' and 'the Tyger' by William Blake. Not my best analysis neither (Judith Wright was my favourite!) but ehh I guess it will be okay. I ended up talking about religion, not the most neutral/safe topic  :blink:  ^_^  And I did feel a bit weird when I finished, after analysing and studying all the poems, then only getting to talk about a couple of aspects of a couple of poems! such is life.