Subject options physics preferences?

alexalexalex

Hello! So, I shall be starting the IB next year, I must fairly soon choose my IB subjects. This is what I've got so far:

HL: Maths, Physics, Geography, Chemistry

SL: English lang and lit A, German Lang B.

I am definitely not planning on keeping four higher levels, right now i feel as if i will end up dropping chemistry.

The thing is, I want to apply to physics courses at Oxbridge and Imperial. What I was thinking was, is it a disadvantage not to have a science as my third HL? Will it decrease my chance of getting accepted to an undergraduate physics course if I have HL: Maths, physics and geography instead of chemistry?

Thank you so much for help!

It's definitely not a disadvantage; in the worst case it's just lack of an advantage. This combination is not a norm, even among Oxbridge applicants, and if you add all these people from different backgrounds and qualification, it's rather hard to determine whether a given combination is a significant advantage. (remember that your personal statement is quite important as well)

And it also depends on how strong you feel in each of these subjects - it will surely be more beneficial to score a 7 in HL Geo than a 5 in HL Chem.