English Analysing Texts

dan_k1

Hello again,

I recently got my results for my first F.O.A which was 20/30. I am still quite disappointed, and I want to improve so that I can get at least a 6. My teacher told me to use PEEL even further, so I was wondering how to improve on analysing texts, such as analysing speeches and other forms of texts? (Please don't say read more books, because it's not really helping me) And is there a way to practice and improve on the commentary for FOA (Not the real thing but just in general)?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :)

Hello again,

I recently got my results for my first F.O.A which was 20/30. I am still quite disappointed, and I want to improve so that I can get at least a 6. My teacher told me to use PEEL even further, so I was wondering how to improve on analysing texts, such as analysing speeches and other forms of texts? (Please don't say read more books, because it's not really helping me) And is there a way to practice and improve on the commentary for FOA (Not the real thing but just in general)?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :)

Umm make sure you have a very solid understanding of literary terms and know the effects of the author's choices on the text; you have to be able to pick apart literary details. Don't just state them. Explain what they mean and how they contribute to the meaning of the text. A title could also say a lot about the text you're analyzing. For example, in "Horses" by Pablo Neruda, I talked about how the title was called "Horses" because they are responsible for creating the shift in tone in the poem, and I went from there. Look at stuff like sensory details, metaphors, similes (why do they compare what they're talking about to that specific thing?) the use of seasons (e.g. winter typically represents death, spring represents rebirth/innocence etc. These are called archetypes btw), use of colours (archetypes), the use of tense, punctuation, sound (talked about assonance for my IOP and how that contributed to the slow, dragging pace of the text I was looking at), rhythm etc. There are so many aspects to look at. 

Another thing is to practice. The more passages you expose yourself to, the better. Here's a website that has a bunch of poems you can look at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/browse/

If you want to practice analyzing prose, look at some key passages from novels you read and then pick apart the details from there or you can look at some specimen IB papers. If you're still struggling, look at old commentaries so that you know what IB/your teacher expects out of you. 

Hope I helped! 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1