Will not taking an IGCSE exam hinder my further studies?

mac117

Hi everyone.

So, my IGCSE coordinator is now registering us for the exams, and so far I have the following subjects (all extended curriculum):

Geography, Maths, Additional Maths, French, German A, English Lang., English Lit., Science (double award).

The last subject is history. Now, I've usually been a good history student, I never had bigger problems with memorisation or the content, yet it's not something I enjoy at all. I'm currently predicted a B, which isn't bad, but compared to my 7A*s and an 2As it doesn't look *that* good.

If I dropped it, I would have more time on my other subjects and maybe score better in my other subjects? I take geography, so it's not like I wouldn't have a single social science.

Wouldn't taking triple science instead be more beneficial for IB?

My coordinator says that I might have problems whilst applying to uni, as they like well-rounded students and not taking the exam (even though I attended the course, which is sadly mandatory) will make me look like a weaker applicant.

Is this true? Will the university really be looking that much on my IGCSE grades and might ask why I didn't take the exam?

I'd really appreaciate some advice, as I really don't want this small mistake to have an effect on my future.

Ps. I'm interested in studying medicine or engineering in England, and my dream university is either Oxford or Imperial College London.

For something as mathematical as Engineering or science-related as Medicine I doubt you not taking a History exam truly matters, but if I was in your position, I wouldn't dare risk it and do the exam anyway. Oxford places a lot of importance on your GCSE's, which is the reason why their entry requirements are usually lower than Cambridge's, and it is possible that that may raise questions further on. 

Beyond that, it shows of good work ethic to not simply drop a subject because you may get a B in it, and instead study your heart out for the exam, and try to end up with an A. 

Also, if you end up with a B, it won't be the end of the world. Your IB points matter more.