Are ToK talks/meetings important (useful)?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should you go to the ToK talks/meetings?

• Yes
    • Only if you have nothing else to do
    • No

I'm in grade 11 and the school year began on September the 8th. This Friday I have a ToK talk in lunch and "all Grade 11 IB DP students are expected to attend". Well I'm not going to attend. Cause usually all the talks at our school are just so stupid and a waste of time and also extremely basic and boring. In Grade 9 for example, we had this 60-year-old teacher explaining to us how to use online databases, stuff like how to use the search bar. So I'm just afraid the ToK talks are going to be similar, just pointless and boring. The lunch is 75 minutes long and that's a lot of time which I can use for stuff like doing my IB French devoirs and studying for the SAT and ACT.

I think you should ask yourself whether or not you want to do well in TOK. If that's the only time you actually have TOK, then I'd strongly advise for you to attend. I know a lot of people say it's a bludge, and it can be at times, however, if you want to do well in your presentation and essay, it's a good idea to actually listen to what's going on, otherwise you may take the wrong approach to the summative tasks.

• Like 1

I guess you would be okay if you have a lot of stuff in year 12, but it may help to turn up to a couple of the talks. In my final year, I have lunchtime classes nearly every day and it takes a little while to get used to having less time to do work, but it's doable.

And thanks, I'll need my luck for November! Good luck for your time in IB :)

tbh tok classes aren't all that necessary past a certain extent. i paid attention in the half semester before my tok presentation which was in ib1, i found the classes completely useless and so when i was writing my presentation, i just looked up online resources (we didn't have a text book) and same with the essay so i think everything useful you might learn in class can be learnt easier online

• Like 1

yes, tok is an important part of ib, but everything you need to pass tok is available online. having a good teacher might be the difference between an A and a B but you can easily get a C or a B with only resources online.

also personally my EE supervisor always said she thought my EE has a lot of potential and therefore I was always aiming for an A in EE and B in TOK (= 3 points) so I never really cared about tok/turned up to class/payed attention if i was in class because i knew everything i needed would be online