My teacher isn't supporting me with English A HL WA, I need support

Kynast

I'm writing my Written Assignment in Part 1, Works in translation.  My teacher has given everyone except me support.  Quite literally.  Anyways my question is "How is the theme of guilt affected by the setting in Bernhard Schlink's "The Reader?"  I've written about 600 words on how the theme is influenced not only from the collective guilt of the German people although I'm not sure I'm coming from the right perspective.  Any help would suffice as of late. 

I'm writing my Written Assignment in Part 1, Works in translation.  My teacher has given everyone except me support.  Quite literally.  Anyways my question is "How is the theme of guilt affected by the setting in Bernhard Schlink's "The Reader?"  I've written about 600 words on how the theme is influenced not only from the collective guilt of the German people although I'm not sure I'm coming from the right perspective.  Any help would suffice as of late. 

First off make sure you underline or italicize your title because it is a novel. Underline/italicize long texts. 

Ok so your topic sounds solid since you're mainly focusing on a technique used in the novel. Make sure that in your paper, you're mainly focused on the setting because it's supposed to be a technique oriented paper, so you don't get carried away with talking about the theme of guilt. Put it into the context of the author's use of setting and how that contributes to the theme of guilt. Treat it a bit like a commentary and pick apart literary details within the setting. I wish I could help more, but I have never read the book. Also, I see that you seem to have focused on cultural context and that is completely ok because sometimes you do need it to set the stage for your paper and to explain some literary techniques used, but yeah, don't get carried away with that and turn it into a history paper about the collective guilt of German people; use cultural context in relation to technique. 

Another tip is to not use the word "quote" when you're discussing a quotation and it's always good to know the precise words for literary terms. When you're mentioning the novel, say "novel" or "work" instead of "book". It sounds more sophisticated. 

Hope I helped a bit and good luck! 

• Like 2

go talk to your teacher and demand help. if that doesn't work, go to the head of english then ib coordinator.

and by the way, you're teacher is only allowed to give students feedback on one complete draft? so they really shouldn't be helping anyone with theirs unless they have handed in a complete draft and still that is only one time.

• Like 1

go talk to your teacher and demand help. if that doesn't work, go to the head of english then ib coordinator.

and by the way, you're teacher is only allowed to give students feedback on one complete draft? so they really shouldn't be helping anyone with theirs unless they have handed in a complete draft and still that is only one time.

We don't have an english coordinator.  We just have one english teacher, and that's it.  Everyone else has been having problems with her and people have been complaining about her but the staff don't believe us, so nothing is getting done.  I thank you for your suggestions though. 

talk to your ib coordinator

get your parents to call and complain

get multiple peoples parents to call and complain

complain to the principle/head of school

if you care about the subject and your ability to do well in the subject, you should do anything you can do to get your teacher to behave correctly. don't give up just because "nothing is being done", just keep pushing it and complaining about it because nothing will be done if you let nothing be done

• Like 1