Help with Physics IA topic

muskaan2204

Heyy. 

So I have been asked to come up with a Physics IA topic and I am really struggling to come up with one, especially as new syllabus require good amount of personal engagement(like in maths). So  doing mainstream experiments is hard as it lacks personal engagement. 

I have though of: 

Mpemba Effect( though I feel its little bit kiddish)

How does extension of elastic gets affected by height of release ( I have personal engagement for this)

I would really appreciate some ideas (even if they are mainstream, I can bull**** PE) 

Thank You! 

Edited by muskaan2204

Heyy. 

So I have been asked to come up with a Physics IA topic and I am really struggling to come up with one, especially as new syllabus require good amount of personal engagement(like in maths). So  doing mainstream experiments is hard as it lacks personal engagement. 

I have though of: 

Mpemba Effect( though I feel its little bit kiddish)

How does extension of elastic gets affected by height of release ( I have personal engagement for this)

I would really appreciate some ideas (even if they are mainstream, I can bull**** PE) 

Thank You! 

"Doing mainstream experiments is hard as it lacks personal engagement", I think this is a rather misleading statement. Personal engagement is roughly a measure of how much contribution did you yourself put into the discussion of the topic. So in order to fulfill this criteria, you must try to approach the topic from your own point of view and understanding, instead of following other people's footsteps in approaching this topic. Thus personal engagement depends mostly on your creativity and commitment, rather than on whether the topic is mainstream or not. Besides, how popular must a topic be in order to be considered as mainstream? That's very subjective question!

Mpemba effect is not really kiddish, in my opinion. It's an interesting phenomena that can definitely be investigated seriously. Though I must say that it's extremely difficult to do an experiment on this topic because there is a wide range of possible conditions, and you must control the controlled variables with extreme care. In fact, a slight mistake in the procedure might prevent you from being able to repeat the effect, making it really hard to record proper data for later analysis. Besides, there have been many people who have investigated this topic already (including both scientists, & non-scientists) and there're lots of explanations floating around the internet. So it might be hard for you to add anything worthwhile to the already-flourishing discussion.

For other ideas relating to physics IA, I recommend you to look at this website, as well as the document below. Hope you can find a good topic that you want in there!

300-lab-ideas.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 months later...