TOK PRESENTATION help

harihrrnn

HEY all,

As its time to start planing for my TOK  presentation, so I thought I will do it on "Black Money". As an economic student i can easily explain the content. As far as my teacher told me i should include at-least two Ways of knowing and two areas of knowledge which i will be able to make up. But the only problem i'm facing now is framing a TOK topic for my presentation, so far i came up with "What is the root cause for black money?". I basically want to speak about the root cause of black money and government's role in it. And what people think about paying tax (psychological factor). So if someone could help me frame a proper TOK TOPIC it'll be very helpful to me.

THANKS,

HARI

You need to consider formulating a topic which allows for you to develop ideas using the AOKs and WOKs. How are you planning on integrating these in your topic? What's your real life situation and your claims and counter claims? What sort of knowledge claims can you get out of them and how are you going to argue them?

• Like 1

yes! i have many real life examples like, how government is wasting the tax money in unwanted stuffs. Through my presentation i wanted to say that black money isn't always bad if the government is going to keep wasting the tax's we pay, it's better not to pay because nothing is going to happen even if we pay( i can use this as my counter claim). As i already mentioned my AOK'S will be economical and psychological factor. For  WOK i can use 'reason', 'intuition' and 'sense perception'. 

I'm totally ready for my presentation but only this choosing of topic is bugging me. I can't think of a very catchy TOKish heading. -_- can you.? 

I can't really come up with this stuff for you, and I really need all the info to be able to come up with a topic. Look at past presentations - there's heaps on YouTube. See how they've set theirs out, and what their titles are. Make sure you don't have too may WOKs as you'll get bogged down and stuff. :)

• Like 1

Just remember that TOK is not the traditional presentation where you 'expose' your prior knowledge of a topic within a discipline (what we spend most of our time doing in schools). And it is not about sharing research findings. The TOK, in fact,  is all about delving into questions about knowledge and about knowledge issues. 

A natural corollary of this is that your presentation and knowledge issue be open-ended. Not just in form, but in spirit.  It looks like you have already decided what you are going to say and have got certain answers in mind. But that is not the aim of the TOK.

Instead of "answers" you need to think up "knowledge questions" related to your RLS. Your RLS, in turn, must link up to a broad *question about knowledge*. The question you have now:

"What is the root cause for black money"

sounds like a first order question. You need to go a step beyond this so that your question becomes a second order question i.e. one asking about knowledge, not about the cause for something specific to Economics or any other discipline or course of study.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2