How to regulate light intensity during seed germination?

inshm2016

Hi,

So my BIO IA topic is ''How does light intensity affect the germination and growth of bean seeds?'' So the plan is to plant the seeds at 5 different light intensities (5 examples for each light intensity) and then analyse the results. My main concern is how I will go about regulating the light intensity. What do you guys think? What can I use?

Grateful for replies! :)

Maybe move each group further from the light source, then measure the intensity at each distance in terms of lux.

Sounds great! But I don't quite understand, can I have all beans grown in the same room? Won't  the light supplied by the room affect the experiment? Thank you for your help :)

I would keep it in a dark room with a controlled light source. Maybe you can have a box in which you keep the specimen in and have a light shining on top.

Personally I think your question could be improved. You said you want to use five different light intensities but why not try five different wavelengths? (Sorry might not be the right term for that). For example use red light, blue light etc.

Check out 2.9.2 of the HL biology syllabus (new specification).

Maybe move each group further from the light source, then measure the intensity at each distance in terms of lux.

Sounds great! But I don't quite understand, can I have all beans grown in the same room? Won't  the light supplied by the room affect the experiment? Thank you for your help :)

Just use a dark room with a single light source, or do what Yugalarex said, that would also be a great idea :D