English Literature

Hi, I've just started my IB and  I do need some help.

I tried Lang&Lit for some time, but now I've switched to Eng Lit.

I was wondering, how many books do we have to prepare for our FINAL IB EXAMS? Do we do ALL of he books we read in the two years time? OR Do we have to prepare some of them? OR Do we read different books for final examinations? OR Is it something else?

THANKS TO ALL :)

There are sections of the syllabus where you read 4 books per section. Each section is to help prepare you for a specific aspect of your English Lit assessments. You will read 4 books (I believe it's still 4 for HL students) for your WIT essay, and these 4 books will be books that were originally written in a different language and have been translated into English. You will do a study of poetry and select prose for your Oral Commentary and about 4 books for your  Oral Presentation.

Usually, schools reserve the 4 books that you will have to study for your final IB exam, for your last term in the IB, to ensure that these books are at the forefront of your mind going into the exam. These 4 are usually from the same genre (either plays, novels, short stories or poems). Your Paper 2 exam will involve an essay question on these. Your Paper 1 exam is an unseen commentary, so there's no preparing for that other than practising.

• Like 1

You got an answer from Arrowhead already, so I needn't say too much more. I'll add a few things which may help clear things up for you:

The number of works you study depends on your level. Are you at HL or SL?

At HL you study 13 works in total
At SL you study 10 works.

These are distributed in the following way:

Part 1 - 3 works (HL) 2 works (SL) for your WA
Part 2 - 3 works (HL); 2 works (SL) for your IOC
Part 3 - 4 works (HL); 3 works (SL) for your P2
Part 4 - 3 works (HL); 3 works (SL) for your IOP

See how that works for you.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2