IB English what to whatch out for?

Im gonna go into grade 12 next September and I'll be taking IB english and I just had a couple questions

Is there anything I should watch out for?

How do prepare for commentaries and presentations?

Is there anything that I should do to prepare for IB english?

And how hard is it got get a level 7 in English?

This is for English Lit and not Lang & Lit 

Be prepared for the IA's (IOP and IOC) and make sure to have your World Lit paper done ASAP so that it's out of the way. Don't worry about it too much over the summer though because your teacher will explain these things to you. Just a good thing to keep those in mind. 

For commentaries, you could practice annotating passages and see if you could form solid thesis statements from them. The more passages you expose yourself to, the better. For presentations, just brush up on your public speaking skills. Make sure you don't talk too fast or too slow and know what you're saying well enough so that you aren't simply reading off your script. 

Other than that, there's not much you can do because you don't know what works you will be reading until your teacher gives you a list. 

From what I've been hearing, it's hard because it's really subjective. There's really little difference between a 6 and a 7. All I can say is try to do well on the IA's and World Lit paper so if anything goes wrong on the exams, you have something to cushion the blow. You get tons of time to work on the IA's (especially the IOP) and the World Lit paper, so take advantage of that and don't leave things the night before it's due. To help with your World Lit paper, I suggest taking notes on each of the books you read so you can keep track of plot, characterization, themes, motifs etc. Your topic has to be technique oriented. For the IOC, it's important to do well because it also affects your IOP mark. You randomly pick a passage on the day of it and you have to do a 10 minute oral commentary as well as a 10 minute discussion on a work. The passages you may get are from the books you have been reading in class so take note of important passages and practice annotating them and creating thesis statements. For the IOP, what the topic is about is a lot more open compared to the World Lit paper. Play on your strengths (if you're good with creative response, do a creative and if you're good with analytical, do something like an oral commentary). It's not that hard to do decent on as long as you have a solid topic and present it effectively. Make sure you can keep within the timeframe and make sure it's a literary presentation though. If you do something purely historical based, you will do very badly. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1