how do I annotate Carol Ann Duffy and Shakespeare?

Did any of you guys have Carol Ann Duffy poems during class? I am having some troubles annotating Devil's wife, Salome and Havisham... But also if you maybe had an extract of The tempest by Shakespeare, it would be very helpful if you could say what to talk about in those poems/extract :) thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hey, um annotating in English is quite easy once you've gotten into it. You really have to read over the poem and try and figure out the main theme that runs throughout, after that, its easy to extrapolate what the poet might be trying to get at with just about every word they use. I mean Havisham starts with "Beloved sweetheart bastard", instantly telling you that the poem is about a love hate relationship. Miss Havisham is a character from the novel "Great Expectations." The poem depicts the sorrows of a women left at the altar, showing her erotic fantasies, desires, anger and an odd sense of passionate hatred. The thing about Carol Ann Duffy is that each word that she writes is very deliberate. She came to visit my school during my first year in the IB and she talked about spending hours deciding on specific words. So think about that. Think about the colour green and its connections to envy, the use of the word spinster and the connotations it has vs the word bachelor. I can't annotate it for you, but this poem is full of juicy details, if you think of something, write it down, because this is english and everything goes. Use the same technique for all your literature and you'll do well. Pick out the smallest most seemingly pointless details for the best marks.