Prepare for Pre-IB?

Quintessential

Good evening!

I'm going into the Pre-IB after the summer; August 18 to be a bit more specific. I'm really excited and I obviously want to do as well as possible, thus causing me to wonder if there's anything I could prepare for. You might suggest me to relax, enjoy the summer and not prepare for the preparation, but I don't have much else to do, really.

I figured mathematics might be a subject I'd be able to study a bit on my own, considering all the youtube guides out there. I thought about ordering the textbook I eventually will use when I start the Pre-IB, but I'm unsure which one to order. Guidance here is much appreciated.

I chose to post the topic here in the Pre-IB section, instead of the mathematics section since the thread itself is not restricted to mathematics only.

I did my first year of Pre-IB last year, and spent the summer before relaxing and chilling.

Honestly, I regret not reviewing or looking over next year's material more closely, especially in mathematics. 

I don't know what classes you took last year and what you're taking next year, or how well you've done in previous classes. I always did well and had a false sense of security I later regretted. So you're on the right track to do some work.

I'm in the US and not overly familiar with the system in Sweden, but, if possible, maybe you could contact your future school and ask if they can give you a syllabus or list of topics in the class? That will give you a good idea of where to start, and it is in my experience the most reliable. I can't help you on which textbook to get, but having one is better than none. This is also one of the areas where I'd ask the school. I know textbooks can be expensive, but they are extremely useful as sort of a syllabus and instructional guide in one book. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is whatever you review, have clear focused goals. Don't wander around doing whatever math you feel like. The key to success with reviewing and self-study is to have a clear plan, specific topics for study and attainable goals.

I am also starting Pre-IB on the 18th. :o Can it be that we attend the same school? Nonetheless, I am spending my time doing the exercises on Khan Academy. Even though I don't know the exact syllabus, it's still good to get a good grasp of general mathematics. You can spend your time covering some of the physics and chemistry. Unlike other summer holidays, now that I know that I am going to IB, I am simply not in the mood to relax. 

Another thing, though it's off topic, can you kindly pm me with what school you're going to? 

Just checked: We simply have an orienteering event on the 17th. Actual studies begin on the 18th.

Edited by FractiousArrogance

I did my first year of Pre-IB last year, and spent the summer before relaxing and chilling.

Honestly, I regret not reviewing or looking over next year's material more closely, especially in mathematics. 

I don't know what classes you took last year and what you're taking next year, or how well you've done in previous classes. I always did well and had a false sense of security I later regretted. So you're on the right track to do some work.

I'm in the US and not overly familiar with the system in Sweden, but, if possible, maybe you could contact your future school and ask if they can give you a syllabus or list of topics in the class? That will give you a good idea of where to start, and it is in my experience the most reliable. I can't help you on which textbook to get, but having one is better than none. This is also one of the areas where I'd ask the school. I know textbooks can be expensive, but they are extremely useful as sort of a syllabus and instructional guide in one book. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is whatever you review, have clear focused goals. Don't wander around doing whatever math you feel like. The key to success with reviewing and self-study is to have a clear plan, specific topics for study and attainable goals.

Thank you for your answer.

It surely sounds like contacting the school is the best idea. I'll do that.

I am also starting Pre-IB on the 18th. :o Can it be that we attend the same school? Nonetheless, I am spending my time doing the exercises on Khan Academy. Even though I don't know the exact syllabus, it's still good to get a good grasp of general mathematics. You can spend your time covering some of the physics and chemistry. Unlike other summer holidays, now that I know that I am going to IB, I am simply not in the mood to relax. 

Another thing, though it's off topic, can you kindly pm me with what school you're going to? 

Just checked: We simply have an orienteering event on the 17th. Actual studies begin on the 18th.

Looking through your past  posts and how your entrance test was organised, it doesn't seem like that's the case. I don't really have much experience using Khan Academy. I'll check it out, though. Thanks.

I sent you a PM with what school I will be going to. 

Enjoy the summer! If there is a subject in which you struggle, then review some of the material but do not overdo it.

Try to see if you can order the textbook, familiarising yourself with the content will give you an advantage. The same goes for english, if there is a list of texts which you will read over the course of the next year, start reading some of them or at least familiarising yourself with online notes. 

It will be your last summer without summer homework/review, make the most of it!

Edited by eternallyapril
  • Like 1

Enjoy the summer! If there is a subject in which you struggle, then review some of the material but do not overdo it.

Try to see if you can order the textbook, familiarising yourself with the content will give you an advantage. The same goes for english, if there is a list of texts which you will read over the course of the next year, start reading some of them or at least familiarising yourself with online notes. 

It will be your last summer without summer homework/review, make the most of it!

I just sent an email to the IB Coordinator of the school I'll be going to. Unfortunately, I received an automatic reply saying he's on holiday and will read his emails on July 8-10. Now, let's play the waiting game.  :P

Edited by Quintessential

More than just the content, it's skills that matter in the IBDP. Content is usually covered in the programme itself but it's knowing how to manage time, prioritise, answer questions in the right way and knowing how to tackle the new subjects like EE and ToK that are the hardest challenges. 

Subject selection plays a big role in your IB experience, as does the ability to cope with the IB generally and being prepared to hit the ground running. More info on subject selection and skills at www.callidolearning.com 

• Like 1

More than just the content, it's skills that matter in the IBDP. Content is usually covered in the programme itself but it's knowing how to manage time, prioritise, answer questions in the right way and knowing how to tackle the new subjects like EE and ToK that are the hardest challenges. 

Subject selection plays a big role in your IB experience, as does the ability to cope with the IB generally and being prepared to hit the ground running. More info on subject selection and skills at www.callidolearning.com 

That is 100% true, however, it does not satisfy the question. The original poster was asking about what he can work on during the summer to prepare him.

That is 100% true, however, it does not satisfy the question. The original poster was asking about what he can work on during the summer to prepare him.

The link I have posted is directly related to what the OP can do during the summer to help prepare him. That link is to an online course which focuses exclusively on the development of skills required for the IB Diploma programme. 

Edited by IBeer

The link I have posted is directly related to what the OP can do during the summer to help prepare him. That link is to an online course which focuses exclusively on the development of skills required for the IB Diploma programme. 

Oh yeah, sorry. I was actually referring to the first part of your statement. I am actually checking out the website right now.

I attended MYP5 last year which our school kind of treated like pre-dp. I would recommend studying math. Tons of math. At least for me math in IB was very different than what I previously been taught, or not taught rather. I actually emailed my coordinator on before hand but they never got back to me, haha.

I do not know what school you will be attending and therefore not what book you will use, but we used the one by Hease and Harris. Here is the PDF for the one we used: http://www.cibanet.org/uploaded/downloads/CIBA/Photos/Library/ib_myp_5_plus.pdf
This is the first edition, which our SL group used. It is good for you if you not have to pre-order them since they are really expensive, especially since you probably do not have to buy it in school (guess it depends if it is a public or private IB school you are attending).

If you have any other questions or thoughts, PM me! 

Callidolearning.com does surely sound interesting. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $349 to access their basecamp, which approximately takes 25 hours to complete, and material for the period of one year. $349 is quite a lot of money.

Is this possibly a site you've been signed up for yourself? 

I attended MYP5 last year which our school kind of treated like pre-dp. I would recommend studying math. Tons of math. At least for me math in IB was very different than what I previously been taught, or not taught rather. I actually emailed my coordinator on before hand but they never got back to me, haha.

I do not know what school you will be attending and therefore not what book you will use, but we used the one by Hease and Harris. Here is the PDF for the one we used: http://www.cibanet.org/uploaded/downloads/CIBA/Photos/Library/ib_myp_5_plus.pdf

This is the first edition, which our SL group used. It is good for you if you not have to pre-order them since they are really expensive, especially since you probably do not have to buy it in school (guess it depends if it is a public or private IB school you are attending).

If you have any other questions or thoughts, PM me! 

Thanks! Looks really promising with the whole book as a PDF. I'll definitely check it out more tomorrow.

I'll be going to a public IB school, so no need for me to actually pay for the material once I start.

Oh yeah, sorry. I was actually referring to the first part of your statement. I am actually checking out the website right now.

No worries - was in a hurry and didn't explain myself well enough either :) 

Callidolearning.com does surely sound interesting. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $349 to access their basecamp, which approximately takes 25 hours to complete, and material for the period of one year. $349 is quite a lot of money.

I'm already done with my first year of the IB, so I haven't used Basecamp. I heard about the site from some juniors who've signed up - they thought the course was incredibly cheap compared to other pre-IB courses. I can't speak for the course myself, but from the blog content, their material is spot-on and they certainly seem to know what they're doing - even in my second year, I find myself referring to their blogs. 

Don't know if this helps any - I suppose you've got to decide for yourself. 

Hi Quintessential 

I'm one of the founders of Callido Learning. We're all ex-IB students who have a passion for education technology. Because we did the IB Diploma, we know the power of the course. For the same reason, we also know the most common student struggles and complaints with the course. 

Basecamp is something we designed in conjunction with leading IB educationists to equip students with those skills which most commonly hold students back from top grades or keeping up with the flurry of deadlines. 

The course comprises of 26 modules in total, all of which have been designed bearing in mind the specific requirements of all IB Diploma subjects - the link below shows the rigorous skills mapping that was carried out. The centre column displays the skills being built. The left-hand column shows which subject groups require this skill as part of the assessment criteria and the right hand column shows which Basecamp modules build these skills. The document is available at http://bit.ly/Basecampskillsmap

I would humbly say that for the amount of rigour, research (2 years) and stellar IB-teaching talent which has gone into this course, the price point is actually miniscule - and that's because we're ex-IB students who are passionate about using technology to make bring high quality education to everybody that we can. 

If you have any questions at all, I would be very happy to answer them on this forum or via private message. 

Madhu

Co-founder, Callido Learning 

• Like 1

Know your stuff for math. They'll often launch you right into math that's one level higher than your own while also teaching you the concepts in your regular grade so it's basically learning 2 years of math in one year, which can be very difficult especially if you aren't strong in math.

Everything else, I feel like it's easier to pick up. English might be a bit difficult, since commentaries are unfamiliar territory but not really sure how you could prepare for that except maybe reading a few pieces of literature. 

Go easy on yourself though

Pre- IB starts January for me :P

Similar to a lot of others on this thread, I also highly recommend Khan Academy. It's free, developed with no catch! I can remember back to sixth grade, where I spent 99% of my afterschool hours studying math off that website as we never actually received any homework... in just a couple months, I had progressed to such a point where I began studying limits! Keep in mind that I attended a Canadian public school where the hardest concept ever taught in sixth grade is adding fractions (not joking/ exaggerating).

So in a nutshell, thanks to Khan Academy, I essentially became the math god at our school for a period of time. (This is presumably an easy way to become valedictorian too, whatever that means :)