I want to study at Harvard, yet tuition is far too high?

A_Happy_Monkey

I am aware that the question mark in this title has been misappropriated (if I even used that in a sentence correctly) :)

Here is my dilemma:

I am currently a Grade 9 student living outside of the United States and will be attending an IB high school next year. At the moment, my post- secondary aspirations revolve around big- name schools, such as Stanford, Yale and of course, Harvard. However, as hinted by the title, I fear that I may encounter serious financial issues if I choose to take that route and this has led me to believe that Ivy League universities favour applicants with wealthy parents (I don't know much about post- secondary... yet).

So here is my true question: could an individual (coming from a low- moderate income family, of course) pursuing post- secondary education at a top- tier school be able to finance their own education while avoiding the accumulation of massive student debts? Or am I hopeless in that area and have to look towards a different university?

By the way I am perfectly aware of Ivy League's admission qualifications/ criteria/ whatever it's called.

(and sorry for my bad English, I'm only 14 =3)

From Harvard's website:

If your family makes less than $65,000 USD a year, you are not required to pay. Harvard will take care of it for you.

If your family makes between $65,000 and $150,000 USD a year, you will pay between 0 and 10% of your income. The specific amount varies.

If your family makes more than $150,000 USD per year, you're rich and don't need financial aid, but Harvard will still consider the student for financial aid.

International students ARE able to qualify for the above rates.

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works/fact-sheet

From Harvard's website:

If your family makes less than $65,000 USD a year, you are not required to pay. Harvard will take care of it for you.

If your family makes between $65,000 and $150,000 USD a year, you will pay between 0 and 10% of your income. The specific amount varies.

If your family makes more than $150,000 USD per year, you're rich and don't need financial aid, but Harvard will still consider the student for financial aid.

But still, wouldn't students [in the middle range, $60K to $150K] still be required to fully compensate for their education? Our annual payment to the institution would be less than the richer families, however I personally think that it would just take a little longer for us to pay everything off...

Again, I barely understand how high- school works let alone post- secondary so I apologize if you are facepalming right now. :)

From Harvard's website:

But still, wouldn't students [in the middle range, $60K to $150K] still be required to fully compensate for their education? Our annual payment to the institution would be less than the richer families, however I personally think that it would just take a little longer for us to pay everything off...

Again, I barely understand how high- school works let alone post- secondary so I apologize if you are facepalming right now. :)

Let's say Harvard's tuition and fees are $50,000 for one year. Let's use an example income: if your family makes $75,000 that year, the maximum amount you will pay is $7500, and remember, they said it will vary, so if you have other siblings in a university or something that year or are in a large family, you may only pay like 5 percent, so you'd pay $3750 for the year.

From Harvard's website:

Let's say Harvard's tuition and fees are $50,000 for one year. Let's use an example income: if your family makes $75,000 that year, the maximum amount you will pay is $7500, and remember, they said it will vary, so if you have other siblings in a university or something that year or are in a large family, you may only pay like 5 percent, so you'd pay $3750 for the year.

Sorry to intervene here but what about case of mine: my parents income falls to highest category if I know it right, or middle category but they pay me nothing, I need to pay university myself once time comes. Am I totally out of luck here?

EDIT: I myself earn negletable amounts of money (all goes to living)

Edited by Emilia1320

From Harvard's website:

International students ARE able to qualify for the above rates.https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works/fact-sheet

If your family makes between $65,000 and $150,000 USD a year, you will pay between 0 and 10% of your income. The specific amount varies.Let's say Harvard's tuition and fees are $50,000 for one year. Let's use an example income: if your family makes $75,000 that year, the maximum amount you will pay is $7500, and remember, they said it will vary, so if you have other siblings in a university or something that year or are in a large family, you may only pay like 5 percent, so you'd pay $3750 for the year.
Sorry to intervene here but what about case of mine: my parents income falls to highest category if I know it right, or middle category but they pay me nothing, I need to pay university myself once time comes. Am I totally out of luck here?

As I am not a Harvard financial aid worker, I can't give you a definite answer unfortunately. Best bet would be to do some Google research, or call them up and ask.

from what i know about american universities, your parents have to be on board because it is incredibly difficult to be listed as financially independent (you need to file something saying that your parents abuse you to the police or something). so yes, if you plan to study in an american university, you are out of luck because when they consider you for financial aid, they consider your families income and assets 

from what i know about american universities, your parents have to be on board because it is incredibly difficult to be listed as financially independent (you need to file something saying that your parents abuse you to the police or something). so yes, if you plan to study in an american university, you are out of luck because when they consider you for financial aid, they consider your families income and assets

I see. No hope for me then :( thanks for information

I see. No hope for me then :( thanks for information

i'm sure there's still a way but i really don't know anything about american universities so i am not the person to talk to about this. in australia theres organisations like studyUSA group and others that help with giving you information about american universities and SAT's and financial aid and stuff so i recommend you look for something like that in your country to ask questions and stuff :)

• Like 1