Physics IA Simulations

Biv0

TLDR: Should I use an online simulation for my physics IA or will the moderator not appreciate it as much as a hands on experiment?

I want to do my physics IA on Coulomb's law, and would like to use an online simulation to 'obtain' the equation, since it is quite easy and practical that way, and I don't have the necessary lab equipment available. However, I was wondering whether using a simulation is a good idea. It seems that it might be rejected as good methodology and engagement by moderators, because it is in some way circular reasoning and perhaps not as legitimate. Will the moderator(s) view it as a bad investigation if I basically find the relationship the force, charges and distance of particles using a simulation?

For added reference, here are two IA's that both used simulations:

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_physi_tsm_1408_1_e∂=8&chapter=4

This IA received 23/24. It is about Wien's displacement law, relating to electromagnetic radiation and black bodies. It is out of the curriculum and has some fairly advanced concepts, but uses a very simple simulation to obtain the relationship between temperature and peak intensity wavelength. They do not use explicitly say they will 'prove' the law and even show an awareness of the circular reasoning involved: "Because this entire investigation is based on a computer simulation my determination of Wien’s constant is an academic exercise, and has no physical meaning other than uncovering information in the computer model that generated the data." They claim to use the relationship to 'clear up confusion about information given in textbooks', but then don't proceed to actually do that but add it as an extension to the investigation.

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_physi_tsm_1408_1_e∂=8&chapter=5

This IA received a 12/24. I believe this was because of a far harsher moderator, but also a poor choice of wording and some general bad structure etc.. They use a simulation to "prove" the equation F=qvBsin0 (theta). The moderator calls them out on the circular reasoning, the fact that the student won't 'prove' the equation and the general laziness of using a simulation. The student doesn't use the simulation for anything other that 'finding' the equation, which I guess led to the moderator retracting marks for exploration and such. These two examples both use a simple online simulation, but the first one uses slightly harder concepts and concentrates less on the simulation, while the second received a bad score for more directly addressing the equation rather than the concepts, which are also in the syllabus.

Anyway, if I had a question like 'How do scientists determine the electrostatic interactions/forces in atoms?', then explain electromagnetic forces, relate that to coulomb's law and then 'obtain' the law from an online simulation, would that be enough to receive a good grade do you think?

• 1 month later...

That might work. However, as far I remember IA requirements have changed after 2015 examinations. At the same time I remember using simulators in my lab reports as well so I guess it is absolutely fine if you use a simulator. But it is crucial not to simply use the simulator and present your findings, you should definitely delve deeper into your results. I am not sure about your research question as during our physics lessons we would just have variables x and y and then find the relationship between them. Nevertheless, since in one of the links you mentioned there is a similar formulation of the question, it might work. I would recommend asking your teacher for an advice although, overall, such IA might earn pretty good marks  :)