biology IA --- bacteria ?

It is gonna be about how does antibiotic concentration affect the antibiotic activity. I have a plan but I have to grow my own bacteria ...... ( which might be quite dangerous)

it sounds really interesting, but I'm not quite sure your school will allow you to grow some bacteria even safely placed in the lab... The easiest way to solve it is to simply ask your teacher whether it will be possible, if you have good arguments they may let you do it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse me, What about the time restriction? IB states the time recommendation approximately 10 hours, because my experiment will need at least 24 hours for incubating bacteria. do you think it will be okay to do experiment more than 10 hours?

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me, What about the time restriction? IB states the time recommendation approximately 10 hours, because my experiment will need at least 24 hours for incubating bacteria. do you think it will be okay to do experiment more than 10 hours?

If I'm not mistaken 10 hours means 10 hours of lesson, so you have approx 3 hours of bio each week (SL) You will have 3 weeks if you're SL to complete it ( I may be mistaken)

I did my extended essay on bacteria, and I got a non-pathogenic strain from a local university, but I had such a hard time. Since we didn't have a flow hood at my school for microbiology, my samples were constantly being contaminated with other bacteria that would just fall down into the agar or broth I was using. One thing you could do is use a medium that is selective for specific species to see whether any contamination has occurred. It is quite fun though to work with bacteria, because it's not something you usually do.

My Extended Essay revolves around bacteria too, and my school provided me with B.Subtilis and E.Coli. I think schools are allowed to provide you with bacteria that are less harmful. In my case the E.Colis couldn't have possibly caused any harm :)