pre-IB entrance exam

Hey there! I'm a middle school student (Polish education system) and in a week I'm going to have my IB entrance exam (as far as I'm concerned it's only in English, but both written and oral) and I'm freaking out a bit. I really really want to get in and I was wondering if you could give me some tips for that? Maybe you also had to go through it? I have just a basic idea about what to expect, so any information would be great. I really would appreciate anything.

I personally didn't have to go through any kind of tests to get into pre-IB and really, it's hard to generalize about it as it will be quite different from one school to another. At the time I was at school the test was said to be around the european B1-B2 level and it wasn't the decisive condition upon which you were admitted. Your final grades and test results are much more important and the language test would only be a problem if you REALLY struggled at it.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 1

Hey there! I'm a middle school student (Polish education system) and in a week I'm going to have my IB entrance exam (as far as I'm concerned it's only in English, but both written and oral) and I'm freaking out a bit. I really really want to get in and I was wondering if you could give me some tips for that? Maybe you also had to go through it? I have just a basic idea about what to expect, so any information would be great. I really would appreciate anything.

@Alternative, the thing is that each IB program works differently at each school. Some schools have a lottery system, some have entrance exams on science, math and English, some have an essay entrance...etc. I personally did write an entrance exam but we had a whole bunch of different subjects and an essay to write. We studied gr.7 content (because not every middle school learned all the gr.8 math, science and English units at the same time) and wrote an exam on that. All I would be able to suggest, because I don't go to your school so I wouldn't know what they expect of you for your entrance exam, is review your grammar, make sure you don't make severe spelling errors, have some strong analysis (so don't just state your opinion, give some explanation as to WHY your argument is valid) and have fun with it. I know with my school, they didn't want to see a stiffly educated student who writes exactly what they want them to, they want to see some creativity too. 

Oh and by the way, referring to an earlier suggestion, WHY and HOW will become your best friends. It's what IB loves to ask, and it's what IB loves to see. 

I don't know if this will be of any use to you...I would suggest asking some students at the IB program at your high school and ask them for some tips. All the best! 

• 1 month later...

I know this is late for the original poster, however, I will post in order to help anyone else. In Sweden, specifically in the district I live in, there are tons of swedish high school. The international school stands out as it is the only english speaking high school. Therefor, there tends to be a lower entry amount. The school has a max allowance of 50 students but every year, there is an average of 30 students applying. Thus, if you pass the entrance exams, you are 90% guaranteed to be accepted. The entrance exams focus on math and english. The math exams focus on the basics of algebra and geometry. The english exams focus on vocabulary, reading comprehension and writing skills. With moderate english fluency, you can pass the english exams. The math exams are fairly easy as well. I took the entrance exams in April and received the results two weeks later. I received an actual letter from the school three days ago stating that I am accepted. Now, its official. When the summer is over, I will start Pre-IB. Not as challenging but still exciting nonetheless. 

Well, it is late, but thank you all anyway! Actually I got in and I also ended up getting the best result on the entrance exam, which I still find unbelievable. I will also write something about my exam and hopefully it'll help someone.

There were both an oral and written exams. On the written exam there was reading comprehension, grammar and listening, I think it was around B2-C1 level. The oral exam was in the form of conversation, first I had to talk a bit about myself, then they asked me something about IB components (to check if I actually knew what I was singing up for) and then I had to draw a paper card from a pile and there was a question on it. I got "What is important for a home to be comfortable" or something like that. It wasn't really hard, more stressful, since I have no idea what to expect. But, as I said, it wasn't that difficult and if you really want to, you can do it. Again, thank you for your help and pre-IB, here I come.

Edited by Guest

Well, it is late, but thank you all anyway! Actually I got in and I also ended up getting the best result on the entrance exam, which I still find unbelievable. I will also write something about my exam and hopefully it'll help someone.

There were both an oral and written exams. On the written exam there was reading comprehension, grammar and listening, I think it was around B2-C1 level. The oral exam was in the form of conversation, first I had to talk a bit about myself, then they asked me something about IB components (to check if I actually knew what I was singing up for) and then I had to draw a paper card from a pile and there was a question on it. I got "What is important for a home to be comfortable" or something like that. It wasn't really hard, more stressful, since I have no idea what to expect. But, as I said, it wasn't that difficult and if you really want to, you can do it. Again, thank you for your help and pre-IB, here I come.

Yeah, I did that as well and the part regarding the IB components was the interview. Unlike you, I was asked, "Why are you signing up for the IB program/e?" It's one of those events were you simply have to give the interviewer what they want to hear. I went on talking about the benefits of the program and about how it would benefit me due to it challenging academic level. 

Here in Sweden, the schools start in 17/18 of August. To me, pre-IB is just as sweat DP1 and 2.