How to prepare for an IOC

Prepare commentary outlines for every possible passage that you may receive (but opt to do these yourself instead of simply using other people's work; rather, use other people's work as a reference). Once you have done this for all of the passages and are confident that they are good, practise going through the outline and knowing what you will say during an actual IOC. Then, practise writing your outline in the allotted amount of time and presenting it as well, using a timer. Do this as many times as you deem adequate. I recall that I did the whole practice process around 3 or 4 times, perhaps more, for each passage (not including simply reviewing what I will say for each). 

Asides from this, it may also be beneficial to predict which passage your teacher will give you. While you should not rely on this (practise all of the passages!), it can give you some reassurance and may also allow you to eliminate some passages (if they were given many times already). I recall that I correctly predicted the passage I was to receive, but I was one of the last people to present anyway. 

The IOC appears to be stressful and frightening but it really is not that bad if you are well-prepared. Good luck!

• Like 2

Prepare commentary outlines for every possible passage that you may receive (but opt to do these yourself instead of simply using other people's work; rather, use other people's work as a reference). Once you have done this for all of the passages and are confident that they are good, practise going through the outline and knowing what you will say during an actual IOC. Then, practise writing your outline in the allotted amount of time and presenting it as well, using a timer. Do this as many times as you deem adequate. I recall that I did the whole practice process around 3 or 4 times, perhaps more, for each passage (not including simply reviewing what I will say for each). 

Asides from this, it may also be beneficial to predict which passage your teacher will give you. While you should not rely on this (practise all of the passages!), it can give you some reassurance and may also allow you to eliminate some passages (if they were given many times already). I recall that I correctly predicted the passage I was to receive, but I was one of the last people to present anyway. 

The IOC appears to be stressful and frightening but it really is not that bad if you are well-prepared. Good luck!

Just curious, but do you actually think that this is needed? I mean i understand that IOCs are part of the final IB grade but is just an incredible amount of work... I believe just knowing your novels/plays/whatever pretty well is a good starting point. Know the characters, the changes of these characters, motifs, symbols, common imagery, etc. When you get your passage, you should in a fraction of a second be able to pinpoint it in one of your novels and then go from there. You know that animal imagery is often used throughout the novel to symbolise deception? Go and look for that in your IOC-extract; find 3 or more examples in the passage. Explain the general use of animal imagery throughout the text, give your examples. That's maybe 2-3 minutes in your back pocket. Rinse and repeat. Find motifs, character changes , etc. but stay away from paraphrasing (apparently this is a great problem with Shakespeare and the like).

Get together with a friend (ONE friend, too many and it just is not serious practice anymore), give each other a passage. Highlighters and pens out. 20 minutes prep time. Deliver your practice IOC to each other. Done.

I received similar advice to what I have given from many past students and teachers at my school. I like the idea of having pre-determined points because this means I have time to look over them and see if they are valid or not before the IOC, rather than panicking during the time given for note-making. Of course there are different strategies for success, but due to the limited amount of time, I simply felt safer knowing what I was going to say beforehand. I got a 7 nonetheless!

I got a 7 in IOC and basically what i did to prepare was do a practice IOC for every single passage that was possible to be received and sent them all to my teacher for feedback. i also made a list of thesis statements that i memorised because it made it a lot easier once i got in