Help for English A Literature & Language EE ideas please?

Phamalam22

Hi, so today we were given the talk about the EE and I have decided to do my EE in English. (I take English Literature & Language)

I know that I have to choose a topic within the subject that interests me which is worth writing 4,000 words about. I thought that maybe I could write about one of The Maze Runner or Percy Jackson series as I also have them fresh in mind from reading them recently and I personally find them to be very good books. I don't know what topic to write about yet, of the two separate books.

If this is possible, I would really like to write about the TV series Once Upon a Time as it is my all time favourite but sadly I think that I wouldn't be able to do this for English. If I had the chance to, I would write about the fairytale stories that we knew from our childhood and the significance of this series that adapts the fantasies into the modern world in an interesting way.

Do you have any ideas or opinion? :)

Well why wouldn't you be able to do the fairytale idea? Seems pretty interesting and I'm sure you can incorporate Language and Literature into your essay. You could talk about the power of Language in those fairytales on children. Or analyze what aspect of the fairytales appeals most to children (from an English perspective). Umm, I have a few ideas forming so you could PM me for more ideas (unless the couple above may have gotten you thinking?)

Sounds like a cool idea though :)

Edited by IbTrojan
  • Like 1

Well why wouldn't you be able to do the fairytale idea? Seems pretty interesting and I'm sure you can incorporate Language and Literature into your essay. You could talk about the power of Language in those fairytales on children. Or analyze what aspect of the fairytales appeals most to children (from an English perspective). Umm, I have a few ideas forming so you could PM me for more ideas (unless the couple above may have gotten you thinking?)

Sounds like a cool idea though :)

Because I was thinking that it is a TV series not a book which wouldn't be accepted with English?  :lol:  You have some good suggestions- I hope you don't mind me using them? Thank you!

Edited by Phamalam22

Hi, I think writing a book that's fresh in your mind might be the best option. For example, if you would like to write about The Maze Runner, you could talk about how the book is an allegory to life or so (you know, life is like a maze, they said). Or you could look up for significant themes or symbols in the book and focus on them. I talked about how the metaphors in The Fault in Our Stars, have created the characters' perception about death and the formation of their identity. My predicted grade for the essay is B.

• Like 1

Is it better to write about only one book or two?

I think as my final, concrete idea, it would be that I would write a comparative essay about "The Maze Runner" and "Divergent" or "The Scorch Trials" and "Insurgent" or "The Death Cure" and "Allegiant"? Would they be good combinations/books to do that?

I would probably write a question something like: "To what extent does the authors use science fiction in their writing to interest the readers?" (Only an example, it probably doesn't make sense! :lol: )

My point is that I would write about the theme of science fiction used in the two books to capture the reader's ( mostly teenagers ) interest...something like that.

What do you think? Let me know  :lol:

Edited by Phamalam22

Is it better to write about only one book or two?

I think as my final, concrete idea, it would be that I would write a comparative essay about "The Maze Runner" and "Divergent" or "The Scorch Trials" and "Insurgent" or "The Death Cure" and "Allegiant"? Would they be good combinations/books to do that?

I would probably write a question something like: "To what extent does the authors use science fiction in their writing to interest the readers?" (Only an example, it probably doesn't make sense! :lol: )

My point is that I would write about the theme of science fiction used in the two books to capture the reader's ( mostly teenagers ) interest...something like that.

What do you think? Let me know  :lol:

Actually, I was planning to do so for my EE, but I changed my mind since even though the themes or symbol would be almost the same for the two books you have chosen, the author's intentions might be different and you have to be careful about assuming author's intention. But still, I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't do it, there are still some people who did it and got an A. In my opinion, try to list all of the similarities between the two books, as well as contrasts. Try to see if you can go talk about them in a 4000 words essay. Good luck!

• 8 years later...
On 4/21/2015 at 11:40 PM, Phamalam22 said:

Hi, so today we were given the talk about the EE and I have decided to do my EE in English. (I take English Literature & Language)

I know that I have to choose a topic within the subject that interests me which is worth writing 4,000 words about. I thought that maybe I could write about one of The Maze Runner or Percy Jackson series as I also have them fresh in mind from reading them recently and I personally find them to be very good books. I don't know what topic to write about yet, of the two separate books.

If this is possible, I would really like to write about the TV series Once Upon a Time as it is my all time favourite but sadly I think that I wouldn't be able to do this for English. If I had the chance to, I would write about the fairytale stories that we knew from our childhood and the significance of this series that adapts the fantasies into the modern world in an interesting way.

Do you have any ideas or opinion? :)

Heyy im also thinking of doing my EE on Once Upon A Time and how it's represented in a modernized version (tackling issues like feminism and identity) and i was wondering if you ended up doing yours on OUAT or did you change your mind and why? Id appreciate it thank you

I also love Percy Jackson but i think it would take more time wouldn't it? Or could i just choose one of the books? what do you recommend

Edited by JoseeJR2