Help me ease my worries

Vida42

Hey! So I've been experiencing a sense of panic that is steadily rising as August approaches, when I start the Diploma Program. I'll tell you why, and maybe you can help me calm down ..

So this time last year I was in 8th grade in Florida. I was getting ready to go in to Pre IB at a high school there. One of the requirements were Algebra 1, so naturally, that's what I was doing. I had shadowed the IB several times and it seemed very difficult. I like a challenge, so I was excited.

That's about the time I found out we were moving to Sweden. Yeah. So I started in Pre IB here in Sweden in August, instead of in Florida. Whereas there are two years of pre in Florida, there is is only one in Sweden, so I'm currently in my first and last year of pre. Here comes the panic.

Classes here are so easy. Crazy easy. Most worryingly - math, we've been doing pre algebra, basic algebra, and basic geometry that I did 1-4 years ago. In Florida, they do Algebra 2 and Pre calculus in the FIRST year of pre. In the sciences, we're doing stuff I did in elementary and middle school. When I shadowed in Florida, they were doing an in depth lesson on photosynthesis whereas we basically just mentioned the process and it's chemical equation.

Besides from being frustratingly unchallenged, I am panicked (yes, I believe panicked is the proper word here) that I will not be prepared for the diploma program next year. How on earth could this prep for IB be good enough when what they're doing in Florida is so incredibly harder? How can pre algebra be enough when they take Algebra 2, Geometry, and pre calculus in Florida? I'm really stressed about this. I've been trying to do some more advanced biology on my own, but I have a hard time learning math without a teacher. I've forgotten a good deal of what I learned last year in math too, because it's so ridiculously easy this year. I haven't had to study much, so I've become more lazy.

What do you think? I voiced my concern with one of my teachers, and they said 'IB is all about determination, previous knowledge is more or less unimportant.' Is this really the case? Any suggestions for what I can do to be prepared?

I could agree to an extent that you don't need too much of previous knowledge when starting the IB - you will cover all the concepts pretty much from scratch anyway. Having covered all the stuff before is of course an advantage because even if you haven't understood it back then, you have a base on which you can develop. But you can do just as good without it, or with little of it; it will only require a bit more effort.

In my country the system offers little flexibility in terms of what you can do in pre-IB class. We had to follow the normal path of national diploma for a year, which is completely different from the IB and I can say if it wasn't for the teachers, we wouldn't have been prepared to enter the IB at all. So I was in a bit of a similar situation, not even knowing about this and we all amnaged to survive this. :P

I guess your panick comes actually from this awarenes that you could be prepared better than you are. The solution is to either accept it and know that it's possible to go through IB without it, or do your best to prepare now, mainly to calm down your conscience. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

Well, I'm on Pre and so far done some calculus, geometry, algebra, logarithsms, propabilities and stuff. I recommend your to speak with your math teacher and tell youre worried about level youre doing. Also being proactive never hurts; I'm doing Finnish Senior courses on top of my regular math.

I personally think that good preparation in pre-IB isn't necessary. I myself followed the Swedish national curriculum in pre-IB (and even did the Swedish national tests, which were quite easy). But I still turned out fine in the end. In fact, many people in my class got above 35 as their final IB grades :) Like what Slovakov said, most of the IB concepts start pretty much from scratch. Let's take math for example, the prior learning section only contains stuff (like basic algebra, solving quadratic equations, or simple geometry & shapes) that you already learn from the Swedish national curriculum. Or like for physics, all of the basic concepts (e.g. use of vectors, uncertainty, etc.) are introduced right in the beginning of the IB course. So my point is if I could do it, and my classmates could do it, why can't you? There's really nothing to panic or worry about!

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to do some sort of preparation if you feel unchallenged at the moment. A friend of mine thought that pre-IB was too easy for her, so she asked the teacher to read IB math book instead. So if you want, you can ask your teacher to give you permission to study on your own, rather than following the Swedish curriculum. Really, self-study isn't that bad. I strongly believe that "education requires more effort from the learner than the teacher" (Prof. Moriarty). In fact, in the IB, the situation is even more extreme. You don't really need a teacher. You just need a good IB book, passion/time, & perhaps a bit of internet to be able to work your way through most of the syllabus. So why don't you try to do a bit self-study if you feel that you are unchallenged at the moment? It'll not only help you to feel more prepared, but it'll also greatly improve you creativity skill, which will prove to be extremely important later on.

• Like 1

yeah don't worry about previous knowledge as much :P Tbh, there's not much you can do about it, but you should be ok still. I found that a lot of the stuff I did in pre-IB had little to do with the content now. Teachers usually go over some previous knowledge with you if needed. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

I had a very similar experience in Norway––I wasn't in pre-IB, but I was in year 11 the syllabus was ridiculously easy. Most likely, in Florida, the students will already be familiar with many of the concepts but since the IB is so much work anyway... honestly, having studied more before doesn't help as much as you would think. So don't worry, if you are bored, you can try reading ahead (but again, won't be of that much importance later anyway) but otherwise, enjoy your pre-IB life and spend time doing things you like. You'll have significantly less time to read, hike, organise events, whatever you like doing, as the IB starts. Good luck!

Thank you everyone! I asked my math teacher at the beginning of the year, when I realized how easy the math is, if I could just work on my own, but she said no. So I finish everything my class is doing for the next month or so in a couple of lessons and then spend the rest of the time working out of an older IB textbook, but it's hard because she can't help me much.

In biology, my teacher gave me a book he uses for Ib but it's really for A levels, called 'Advanced Biology' by Micheal Kent, I believe. I read that on my own time so that I feel like I'm more prepared. I love biology, I'm planning on taking it higher level. I'm also going to read the texts we're reading in English A HL this summer.

Vioh, yeah I'm doing the Nationella prov too. ;p Swedish, English, and math, next week actually. I see that you took Swedish B - how was that? I'm taking it next year. My native language is English, but I'm pretty good at reading/writing Swedish - I'm horrible at speaking it though.

Vioh, yeah I'm doing the Nationella prov too. ;p Swedish, English, and math, next week actually. I see that you took Swedish B - how was that? I'm taking it next year. My native language is English, but I'm pretty good at reading/writing Swedish - I'm horrible at speaking it though.

As you can see from my signature, I got a 5 on it, so definitely not my best subject. However, it depends very much on your language skill in general, & your passion with the subject. My sister, for example, took only 2 years of Swedish but got a 6 on it. On the other hand, I stay in Sweden longer than her, but got only a 5. I hate languages in general (I was even surprised when I got 7 in English :P ). Anyway, the point is that it’s not that hard if you like the subject.

tbh, although Swedish isn’t my best subject, I found the class rather easy. I mean, we rarely received any homework at all (as the teacher never checked them anyway :P). Most of the time in class was devoted to discussing different stuff (like politics, news, hobbies, etc.), which I really enjoyed. And the best part was that we sometimes went to the movies with the teacher to watch a Swedish film such that we could then analyze it in class. So yeah,....

Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Languages are definitely not my favorite / best either. I'm super insecure speaking Swedish - I've only been here one year but since I already knew some Swedish I was put in the higher Svenska som andra språk class with people that have lived here for a long time and are much better then me. My dad was pressuring me to take Swedish A because apparently B doesn't allow you to study in Sweden, by I think B will be hard enough already! :P It's really the only subject I can say I'm pretty bad at.

Languages are definitely not my favorite / best either. I'm super insecure speaking Swedish - I've only been here one year but since I already knew some Swedish I was put in the higher Svenska som andra språk class with people that have lived here for a long time and are much better then me. My dad was pressuring me to take Swedish A because apparently B doesn't allow you to study in Sweden, by I think B will be hard enough already! :P It's really the only subject I can say I'm pretty bad at.

I was actually planning of taking Swedish A instead. However, luckily I realized in time that it was basically impossible. Swedish A is too hard (even for some Swedish native speakers). I mean imagine what it would be like if you have to stand 15 minutes in front of a voice-recorder to do a pure literary analysis, which is exactly how Swedish A oral would be like.

It's too bad that Sweden has changed the rule regarding Swedish proficiency requirements to study in a Swedish university. But there are 2 things that you can do. You can take Swedish TISUS test to fulfill the Swedish requirements. The test isn't that tough if you're determined to work hard. The second thing is to apply to Norwegian universities. It's funny how things work in Norway, because they accept Swedish-B students, while Swedish universities don't. Also, another good thing about Norway is that the education is completely free, even for non-EU students :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am in MYP 4 going to MYP 5, aka Pre IB, next year. Just like you, I came from another country and moved to Sweden. Before i moved here, I was in a private school and I did indeed a drastic decrease in the level challenge. One of the teachers said "It is all about self teaching". 

I guess this is what makes me excited about IB. When school becomes easy, it becomes boring and dull so a challenge is a must.

Good luck in your studies. :)