Can I apply to MIT multiple times?

Emilia1320

This is not an important question, nor even relevant yet, as my university entries are over two years away, and most likely I can't afford MIT anyway nor get in, but I'm just curious, are there any restrictions on how many times one can apply to MIT? Or universities on USA in general?

Not really, no. I know someone who applied and reapplied to Stanford three times before she finally got in. There aren't restrictions per say. But if you've been rejected once, you've got to ask yourself what in your profile/application was lacking. If, in the intervening year between your applications, nothing significant about your application has developed, reapplying will likely be equivalent to throwing away $100 or so on the application fee.

• Like 2

Not really, no. I know someone who applied and reapplied to Stanford three times before she finally got in. There aren't restrictions per say. But if you've been rejected once, you've got to ask yourself what in your profile/application was lacking. If, in the intervening year between your applications, nothing significant about your application has developed, reapplying will likely be equivalent to throwing away $100 or so on the application fee.

Thanks for the reply ! :)

Of course I would do something developing during the gap year, otherwise it of course is waste of time and money. This however is just theorycrafting, like, I would love to have an experience of studying abroad, but I am not too rich, so financial aid programmes that schools like MIT have are my best and only bet practically. I'm also quite serious student, not sure if I'm material for top universities, most likely no, but hey, to succeed one must first try :D

If your financial means are limited, then my earnest suggestion is to apply anywhere that remotely interests you that offers financial aid. Unfortunately, in the US, financial aid for international students is very limited and very coveted, and usually most of it goes towards financing international students studying Masters and PhDs, primarily PhDs. Some select unis, like MIT and Yale for example, are more giving towards undergraduates, but it is limited even there. A lot of my friends chose to go abroad for their Master's degrees though. It turns out to be a cheaper option, you've also had the time to really decide what you want to study and do by that point and you tend to be more focused then as well. Not that I'm discouraging you from applying now, but it's worth considering.

• Like 1