Depreciation of the crrency?

SO i have a question.

How would the Depreciation of the currency lead to inflation.

Shoudnt it leads to deflation? As the Currency devalues ,  the purchasing power decreases , less consumer spending and investment will be injected into  the economy so Firms have to lower the price of their product,isnt it?

I  am confused,I have never done it in macro but can I put it into my commentary.

• Like 1

Hi,

It's simple, but first let's look at what depreciation and inflation are:

• Depreciation: the decrease of the (free market) exchange rate of a currency. It means that a currency's value falls in terms of other currencies.
  • Inflation: the (sustained) increase of the average price level.

So the depreciation of our currency means we have to pay more for the goods that we import from abroad (as the same amount of foreign currency can only be bought now with a larger amount of domestic currency). If we import a lot from abroad (especially goods that have an inelastic PEDm) then the increased price we have to pay for these goods will increase the average price level of the economy. This is what we call imported inflation.

Let me know if there is anything you still don't understand. Check out my blog for articles.

Thanks,

EconDaddy

IB Economics teacher/examiner

Edited by EconDaddy

Hi,

It's simple, but first let's look at what depreciation and inflation are:

• Depreciation: the decrease of the (free market) exchange rate of a currency. It means that a currency's value falls in terms of other currencies.
  • Inflation: the (sustained) increase of the average price level.

So the depreciation of our currency means we have to pay more for the goods that we import from abroad (as the same amount of foreign currency can only be bought now with a larger amount of domestic currency). If we import a lot from abroad (especially goods that have an inelastic PEDm) then the increased price we have to pay for these goods will increase the average price level of the economy. This is what we call imported inflation.

Let me know if there is anything you still don't understand. Check out my blog for articles.

Thanks,

EconDaddy

IB Economics teacher/examiner

Do you  think I can put it into my Macro commentary?

• Like 1