WHICH SUBJECTS SHOULD I TAKE?

Abood_Ahmad

I am suppose to choose my subject for next year in IB. I am planning to take Medicine as my career and i plan to study in the UK.

COULD ANY IB STUDENT THE SIMILAR SUBJECTS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

Math HL

Business HL

Chem HL
Bio HL

Lang and Lit SL
Spanish Ab intio HL 

PLEASE COULD ANY GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH SUBJECTS TO TAKE OR NOT 

THANKS      :)

But do I need Math HL for medicine in UK if im planning to get into a university like IMperial, UCL or even oxbridge.

I do not believe it's necessary to have Maths at Higher level. SL should be fine for medicine, you could even take Physics SL since you can choose to study imagery as an option which has relations to the medical field, equipment and so. :)

Edit: Physics is not at all must for medicine (Just to make sure)

Edited by Lynxarin
  • Like 1

I am suppose to choose my subject for next year in IB. I am planning to take Medicine as my career and i plan to study in the UK.

COULD ANY IB STUDENT THE SIMILAR SUBJECTS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

Math HL

Business HL

Chem HL

Bio HL

Lang and Lit SL

Spanish Ab intio HL 

PLEASE COULD ANY GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHICH SUBJECTS TO TAKE OR NOT 

THANKS       :)

Personally I would choose these for medicine:

Chem HL

Bio HL

English HL (or subject of choice for example Economics?, maths not necessary to have at HL but go for it if you want to)

Economics SL (much better regarded in university applications than Business)

Mathematics SL (not HL and not Studies)

Spanish Ab initio SL (I'm not sure if ab initio is even offered as HL ?)

:)

My suggestions based on students from my school's advice, teacher's advice, my parent's advice and medical student's advice are the following:

HL Chemistry

HL Biology

HL English Lang and Lit (just as mentioned, SL English is hectic, HL is more beneficial)

SL Spanish

SL Math (you don't need HL for medicine)

SL Business (or another course if your school doesn't offer SL Business)

It mirrors most of the posts above but just thought I'd throw out my opinion too :)

You seem to have chosen pretty useful courses though. Just make sure any "extra" courses (i.e. Business or whatever you replace it with) are something you like because then you'll be banging your head everyday while you take the course.

Also, someone mentioned taking Physics, although it isn't mandatory. What I would suggest is maybe taking Physics in summer school or as a private course so you have the credit (gives you an edge compared to those who don't take it). I know in my country that you generally need to take Physics in first year if you didn't take it in high school just to get the basics so might as well give up one summer to take the course rather than extra work in uni. Again, my suggestion 

Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

To respond to this particular thread, HL Math is NOT required but some universities do say that it is 'recommended'.

If you think of it this way: You want to apply to a university that 'recommends' Math HL but you don't take Math HL, but a lot of applicants in the pool do take Math HL, the university would be more likely to select the applicants who do take Math HL.

I would say if you're good at Math, take HL. I tried taking Math HL but I had to drop to SL because it was too difficult for me, but 1/2 of the students in my year take Math HL and a lot of them get 6s and 7s, it all depends on how good at Math you are.

If you did GCSEs at Year 10/11 (Freshman/Sophomore years) and you did Additional Mathematics, Math HL will not be that difficult for you.