EE on economics, market structure of second hand shops

Heyy!

I am doing my EE on economics, i`ve chosen my topic which the market structure of second hand shops in Jyväskylä (Finland)..im still kind of lost with the research question, should i go with the rather simplistic one " what is the market structure of second hand shops in Jyväskylä" or " To what extent is the market structure of second hand shops in Jyväskylä perfect competition".. Any comments, ideas? I would really appreciate your help! So far i have asked two owners of two different second hand shops if i could interview them and they said yes. So my main problem is how to get the data or more precisely what kind of data do i need..? :/

• Like 1

Hi,

The second question sounds more reasonable to me (although I think they should represent a monopolistically competitive market). As for the kind of data that you need, it really depends on what you'd like to find out. If you want to prove it is a kind of market structure, then have a look at the characteristics of that market structure, see how much of the market you can interview/gather data on. If you have access to enough data (by primary and secondary research), then collect information that can support the assumptions of the given market structure (e.g. how prices are set, the number of firms, the type of goods, etc).

Cheers,

EconDaddy

EE help and blog (with articles for commentaries)

www.econdaddy.com

• Like 1