How to score high in IB ESS?

Echowave

Hello,

I'm currently doing IB ESS this year and I'm struggling to apply the concepts in tests.. I'm not a science student at all, and I've taken this subject thinking it would be more fun and more logical than doing Biology, Physics, Chemistry (You know.. all the general sciences).. I'm struggling to apply these theories into ESS tests..

How should I revise for this subject? I have my mocks coming up in two months.. I've had 5 tests in this subject so far.. the teacher goes through every booklet with the syllabus content so quick.. I'll have to rely on self-studying.. but the thing is.. i don't know how to revise.. I'm really bad at this subject (well I think I am at least)..

My grades so far from each test were: 5, 4, 4, 3 and a 3.. I need at least a level 6 to get into my specific university/college.

Please give me some tips! It would be greatly appreciated..

Hey!

Literally two things: 

(1) read your textbook/syllabus.

(2) exam technique - ask your teacher to provide you with some markschemes so you can understand what they're looking for.

In my first yr of ESS I did not thoroughly go through the content with discipline, nor did i understand the exam technique, I would waffle through all the questions and hope it got me through it - it doesn't. But ESS is pretty easy - I did those two things I mentioned above and got a level 7 without too much difficulty!! That's literally all you need for ESS, a bit of common sense and a lot of regurgitation, supplemented by exam technique!

Especially the longer Qs (20 marks or whatever) at end of paper 2. see how they get split up into like 4/6/8 mark parters. that means you need a separate point of info for each mark - bullet point plan them, make sure you have enough points needed and then write it out - you get the last 2 marks for writing it in prose. I would also suggest bullet pointing the 3-5+ mark questions in paper one, allows the examiner to tick your points off the markscheme instead of sifting through waffle and deciding theres only one or two substantive points worth crediting.

Hey!

Literally two things: 

(1) read your textbook/syllabus.

(2) exam technique - ask your teacher to provide you with some markschemes so you can understand what they're looking for.

In my first yr of ESS I did not thoroughly go through the content with discipline, nor did i understand the exam technique, I would waffle through all the questions and hope it got me through it - it doesn't. But ESS is pretty easy - I did those two things I mentioned above and got a level 7 without too much difficulty!! That's literally all you need for ESS, a bit of common sense and a lot of regurgitation, supplemented by exam technique!

Especially the longer Qs (20 marks or whatever) at end of paper 2. see how they get split up into like 4/6/8 mark parters. that means you need a separate point of info for each mark - bullet point plan them, make sure you have enough points needed and then write it out - you get the last 2 marks for writing it in prose. I would also suggest bullet pointing the 3-5+ mark questions in paper one, allows the examiner to tick your points off the markscheme instead of sifting through waffle and deciding theres only one or two substantive points worth crediting.

Thanks for your tips! I have some past papers for May 2013 and I've looked at them and boy they do look scary :/.. How do you plan your revision for this subject??