What grades do you think are plausible to do IB at?

Martin Simpenzwe

Hi guys I was wondering what you considered to be grades that taking IB would not change much. I have an average in the mid 80s, but i haven't finished the school year yet. Do you think i should take IB? What grades do you think would be the minimum requirement to get through the diploma. I am very anxious, because i plan on taking IB next year as I am in Grade 10 right now?Also, what courses do you believe to be the most difficult, and unnecessary for someone like me who plans to go into Chemical Engineering and Computer Engineering. At the moment my choices are:

HL Biology

HL English

HL French

SL Math

SL Chemistry

SL Environmental Systems and Societies

Sadly my school does not offer HL Chemistry,Math or IB Physics!

Please respond, Thank you

I think those subjects are relatively easy to achieve a high score. 39 - 43 maybe.......

But it really depends on you, how well you manage your English and French , and are u good at memorizing stuffs and so on

Edited by Guest

Grades in the mid 80s are definitely good enough to get into IB, but don't be fooled into thinking that they are a determinant for success in the IB. Hard work and consistency is what produces results in the IB, not intellectual capability. (although that helps of course)

Seeing as the two courses you are interested in pursuing in university are chemical engineering and computer engineering, it is imperative that you take HL Chemistry, Physics and Maths, which are considered to be the three hardest courses in the IB. Even if these may not be specific requirements for the university you would like to attend, they will definitely help you and make life in university more of a breeze. (and maybe even score you some credit)

Btw: ESS is considered a weak subject

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry but if u going into chemical engineering, its a must for you to take chem and math hl....some unis let u go off with physics sl but I read that the chemical engineering ccourse has a lot of physics involved and tyat even physics hl is required...unis wont accept you for chemical engineering without higher level chemistry and math backgrounds and some physics background as well.

Our school doesn't offer HL chem as well, if a student wants to take HL chem instead of SL they say its his/her resppnsibility to study outside of class, but my current teacher is willing to help me outside of class to prepare for the HL exams, so maybe you should try talking to your teacher if you want to take HL chem