when is it a good time to start your EE?

hk213

Well bascially, the title says it all. When would be the best time to start planning EE.???

I just entered grade 11 meaning that i don't actually have experience in all the IB courses which could be a minor setback on choosing a topic.

Would it be better to wait maybe until the second semester to get some grasps on each subjects??? Which subject have you lads written your EE on?

Also, based on your experience which subject tends to be the easiest to write the EE???? What about English???

I'm so sorry for all the questions to possibly annoy you guys but they just keep pouring out and i feel like this is going to be the hardest thing to do in IB so i'm kind of

stressed out... ^_^

English/History EEs seem to be popular. G4 subjects + econ tend to be... not, due to the overwhelming work involved (experiments, surveys). Personally, I started preparing about 3+ months before the summer, then conducted my experiment (Bio EE) during the summer. I think Math EEs are just crazy. ^_^

Choose something that you are genuinely interested with. That way, you won't get bored to death and decide to quit/procrastinate halfway through. ^_^

I would say a good time to start is the summer between grade 11 and 12. That way, you've actually finished IB1 and have an idea of what you're interested in doing for your EE.

I conducted my research from October-November of grade 12 and I also finished my outline of my EE then. In early January, I wrote my EE. It didn't take long to write it since I already had all my quotes and my outline ready (it took 3 days straight). Then my EE was due in February, so I had some time to go through a couple drafts and edit it.

Oh and I had a history EE.

Edited by __inthemaking

I'd say before you start yr 12.. be it in the summer or at the end of yr 11.

I'd personally go for the latter.. but then again, how should i know? i've just started looking into it..

but it's like the myp personal project and though you need academic basis, a great part of it is your analysis, right?

so it should be ok.. if you take the time and effort to do the proper research. furthermore, the stuff you need may even exceed in degree of difficulty what you learn..

hence, i'd go for end of yr 11.

as for which is easy..

in our school ppl tend to do spanish EEs and economics EEs a lot.. prolly because they're the most "stable" subjects in out school..

its always good to get a supervisor who has experience in EEs and not only in the subject, so that he/she knows what the IB demands..

cheers,

Bee

I started seriously writing mine in December 06 and I was MAY 07, I did this because:

1. I was lazy

2. I didn't know what to write about and how to approach it.

3. I didn't have enough resources.

but in the end I was glad I did it that way because I learned a lot more about research/long essay writing by the time I was done with it so I had something better than what I would've written in summer 06

Ugh, thank-you so much for your reassuring words Elsa!

I'm still wandering along doing nothing more than writing a few research notes once and awhile, and I was beginning to panic after talking to all of these keeners who are already on their second drafts! Glad to know I'm not too far behind to catch up.

Haha, don't worry too much about it.

I was May 2008 and I did my research in November 2007 but didn't actually write my first draft until January 2008..and my EE was due in February. But I still got it done.

Ugh, thank-you so much for your reassuring words Elsa!

I'm still wandering along doing nothing more than writing a few research notes once and awhile, and I was beginning to panic after talking to all of these keeners who are already on their second drafts! Glad to know I'm not too far behind to catch up.

haha glad to be of assistance :P I felt the same way when I was browsing tsr and had only my intro done, where other people were actually DONE lol