Urgent Lab Help?!

confuzzled4ever

So for our design lab, I was thinking of doing something with resistance in electrostatics? It has to be in independent/dependent form, and I wasn't sure what I could do. Could I measure resistance across different metals? I have no idea, please help!!

First of all, it seems to me that you are a bit confused with the concept of "electrostatics". Electrostatics is a particular branch within physics that studies the phenomenon of electricity when the charges are more or less stationary; thus electrostatics deals very little with resistance (which often appears in the study of circuitry that deals with the dynamics of electricity). So be careful! you don't want to get yourself confused.

Regarding your design lab, there are tonnes of experiments that you can do. I'll give you 2 examples, but you should try to have a glance over google for more ideas.

1. Design an experiment to determine the relationship between temperature and resistance. Here, the temperature is the independent variable, while the resistance is the dependent variable. I'll leave the rest for you to figure out
  2. Design an experiment to determine the resistivity of a material. As you probably know from the theory, the resistance ® is directly proportional to the length (L) of the wire and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area (A); mathematically, gif.latex? R= \rho\frac{L}{A} (where gif.latex? \rho is the resistivity constant). Here, you can keep the area constant. The independent variable will be the length, and the dependent variable will be the resistance. In other words, by figuring out the relationship between L & R, you'll be able to determine the resistivity constant of the material that the wire is made up of

P.S. Your idea of measuring resistance across metals is very much similar to my 2nd suggestion. However, phrasing it like I did is much better, because resistivity is a constant, while resistance is a quantity that varies with many other variables.

Edited by Vioh