with reference to two areas of knowledge discuss the way in which shared knowledge can shape personal knowledge

Ruthie

Mind elaborating specifically what you need help with in regards to the question? :)

https://toktrump.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/4-with-reference-to-two-areas-of-knowledge-discuss-the-way-in-which-shared-knowledge-can-shape-personal-knowledge/

That website is really useful, and I think it'll help with your question :)

If you're too lazy to read it, I'll try summarising some parts here:

I'm going to assume you know the meaning of shared knowledge and personal knowledge- If you don't, you can check out the TOK syllabus guide :)

You'll then need to 'define' shared knowledge and personal knowledge based on the ways of knowing/areas of knowledge. One of the examples the website had was Psychology, which falls under Human Sciences.

In Psychology, there's a whole theory called Social Identity Theory, and conformity is one of the elements in that theory. People have a 'shared knowledge' about social norms and conform to those norms in order to feel accepted in society. In other words, the shared knowledge of social norms cause them to conform. The social norms (shared knowledge) can also influence their individual behaviour (which can be interpreted as personal knowledge).

Of course, that's just an example, and you'll need to explain in wayyyy more detail than that. Hope I managed to help, best of luck :)

• Like 1