A few biology questions (Gr11, starting of the semester, Chapt.2)

NiCKEL

1) What exactly is glycerol? I know it forms a triglyceride with fatty acids but what is it itself? Is it a carb/lipid/protein? 

2) Anabolism = forming bonds = giving out energy? 

Catabolism = breaking bonds= requires energy? 

My bio teacher is so bad at chemistry and constantly contradicted what was taught the day before...

3) In one book, it said a cis-unsaturated fatty acid was one that was not hydrogenated, but in another it said that it means the H around a carbon double bond are on the same side. Which explanation is correct?

4) When the type of glucose is not stated, should I draw alpha-D-glucose or beta-D-glucose?

5) Is tertiary protein structure a bunch of secondaries? (Since secondary is repeated primary...but the book only says "often globular")

Edited by Mark 59

1) Triglycerides fall under fats and oils in lipids. It consists of three fatty acids that attach to the oxygens of the hydroxides on the glycerol forming an ester linkage. The second component of triglycerides are its backbone which in this case, is glycerol. Glycerol consists of three carbons bonded together, bonded with three hydroxides (one on each carbon) and then hydrogens fulfilling the remaining carbon bonds.

(Image: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/organic/imgorg/glycerol.gif)

2) I haven't learned those specific terms but I'll tell you that I learned in chemistry that 

Breaking bonds = releasing energy

Forming bonds = absorbing energy

3) Saturated fatty acid chains consist of all single bonded carbons thus have a straight structure and are solid at room temperature (BAD)

Unsaturated fatty acid chains consist of at least one double bonded carbon thus producing "kinks" in the structure allowing more space when packed together, therefore liquid at room temperature (better)

NOTE: Polyunsaturated = multiple double bonded carbons in a fatty acid        Monounsaturated = one double bonded carbon in a fatty acid

Trans fats (Harry-Potter-scar shaped) link together by their sides thus are similar to saturated fats and remain solid at room temperature (bad) while cis is similar to unsaturated (trapezoid-without-the-base shaped) link together to form hexagons (or so my teacher told me) thus more space created between them and is liquid at room temperature (better).

I think you would be correct in saying that cis-unsaturated fatty acids are not hydrogenated because (as my teacher has taught me),

Hydrogenation - chemically added "H" (usually to polyunsaturated oils) and can result in trans fats

But I'm not sure about that one...

4) I don't know what alpha-D glucose is but I know what alpha glucose is and same goes for beta-D glucose (I don't know what the D is for) but we were told to use alpha glucose unless specified to use beta glucose but I'd clarify that with another bio teacher at your school or some of your classmates (since each school may be different, although I highly doubt it)

Hope this somewhat helps :)

Tertiary protein structure is a bunch of secondaries that have been folded even further and the R groups stabilize interactions in the folds at this stage. Anabolism requires energy while catabolism releases energy (energy is ATP). Anabolism is the building of larger molecules (so it forms bonds) and catabolism is the breaking down of molecules (breaking bonds). I'm not really sure about the glucose one tho :/ Maybe you could ask your teacher that? It should be more specific :/ 

Edited by ShootingStar16