Combination doable if I want to get 40 or >

Sophie.w

Hi! I am a student currently attending the last year of the MYP and next year I will be starting  DP. My choice of subjects is the following:

-Chemistry HL (I have 6 now out of 7)

-Maths HL (I have 7 now out of 7)

-Biology HL (I have 7 now out of 7)

-iTALIAN A Lit SL (I have 6 now out of 7)

-English A Lan/Lit SL (I have 5 now out of 7)

-Geography SL (I have 7 now out of 7)

I was wondering:

-is this combination manageable?? and will I be able to get a high score (39-40 and above) with this particular subject choice??

Thankss in advance

Edited by Sophie.w

Hi! I am a student currently attending the last year of the MYP and next year I will be starting  DP. My choice of subjects is the following:

I was wondering:

-is this combination manageable?? and will I be able to get a high score (39-40 and above) with this particular subject choice??

Thankss in advance

Honestly, your grade now is only an indicator to where you stand in the subjects now. Now, I don't know how similar the subjects in MYP (syllabuses) are according to IB, but it is more a question of your willpower and to organize the amount of workload you get throughout the 2 years.

So getting 6-7s won't automatically position you as "managing" or "mastering" a certain subject. A friend from a class got good grades, but was a victim to personal private problems and couldn't handle the workload at the same time. He eventually decided to retake IB1. Actually this has happened to a few friends of mine. 

However, stay positive, don't let this stop you, if you're engaged and committed you will succeeded.  ^_^  Grades are not a measure of intelligence, remember.

I was wondering:

Thankss in advance

Whether or not you succeed at a certain combination is really subjective. It's up to you to gauge yourself to determine your strengths and weaknesses. The combination you chose is certainly manageable, but we (ibsurvival users that aren't you) don't know you well enough to truly predict your performance...

First things first, all of it is possible. So don't think you can't do it. The syllabus is made for you to follow, practice exams are given for you to practice, teachers are there for you to throw questions at and learn from and the Internet and library are there for millions of resources. 

(For me), the jump from MYP to IB was huge so I wouldn't compare MYP marks to possible IB marks. 

If those are the courses you need to do/want to do and work with whatever you want to do in the future, then for sure go for them.

Always aim high (especially if you think you have the potential for it) but do not over-exert yourself to the point where all you do is study. That's not healthy.

Your combination seems possible for you to get 40+ points on (again, it's been done before) just remember to focus in class, follow what the teacher asks you to do, finish all of the homework no matter how ridiculous it may seem, participate in class and stay on top of your work (procrastinating is not much of an option and even if it is, it's not a good habit). In my opinion, if you follow all of this, along with a few activities of your interest, you should be successful for IB and for a lot else in the future. Learn the skills IB wants you to learn and you'll do fine. All the best and I hope this helps :)

You can do whatever you set out to achieve my friend! its going to be difficult, very difficult but I believe you can do it! Math, Chem and Bio HL is one of the toughest HL combinations out there, so make sure you start doing your HL stuff early and really prepare for the exams. I also recommend doing all the IA work in IB1, since in IB2 you will definitely not have time for that. As for the other subjects, they seem manageable. I would recommend you get a tutor or some practice with Italian. In IB second language studies skip grammar overall and go onto text comprehension. It was quite a shock for me, since I am not used to reading about globalisation and drug abuse in spanish XD So definitely study some Italian over the course of this year (if you are not fluent), it will help you a lot.  For bio i recommend getting the app anki, which is like a flashcards app that follows the SRS method. Its great for all the memorising you will have to do for Bio HL.