University Dilemna

KingOfPoland

Okay guys, 

I'm currently in 10th grade and planning on taking German B SL in IB, Do you think I can manage to do well in a German university that offers English courses? The problem is that I live in Poland with my family, and my family prefers me to go to some university in Europe as opposed to the US. I'm not sure about the quality and the viability of the universities that allow these courses for English speakers, and also what are their IB requirements? Is it worth it spending so much time trying to understand everything in Germany or just go straight to a UK or US university where things will be more expensive because they're out of the Eurozone, and is further away from my family?

From what I know of European countries excluding England , language at the undergraduate level might be a problem. The language of instruction is usually their national language. But if u get a university that teaches in English I don't think there should be any problem.

UK is definitely an expensive place to study (not discouraging anyone to go there) but it has some of the best universities the world has to offer.

US is very flexible in these matters. The quoted fees may be high. But getting a scholarship or need based financial grant in the US is much easier. There are a wide choice of universities to choose from. Most of them offer financial grant and scholarships and getting these is not that difficult especially considering you are doing the IB. Hence the quoted price is reduced by a lot and it becomes affordable.

If you want to stay close to your family I'd suggest you stick with German B and put in efforts to understand everything.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience, the difference between Germany and the UK is not that significant in terms of cost of living, unless you compare to London. London is riddiculously expensive.

If you do want to go to Germany anyway,I know a few people from my former class that went to German unis with German B SL course, and one even with no grasp of German whatsoever. You can find courses taught in English although I've heard the tuition fees on these are higher. It may take some searching and asking, but if you're determine, I guess it's worth it.

Edited by Slovakov